Wire object fracture: how does it work

6339   5   1
12 posts
Hi everyone,

Im working on a project where I will need to build a lot of wires which will stretch and eventually snap, like pulling steel cables apart.

I am attempting to do this with the fracturing parameters in the wire object but it does not work. Does anybody have an example of being able to break a wire using the wire fracture?

Or is it easier for me to just use the pre-cut wire and animate a glue constraint?

Any help at all would be great.

Thanks!

Attachments:
breaking_wire_RND.hip (265.9 KB)

Staff
329 posts
rayt
Hi everyone,I am attempting to do this with the fracturing parameters in the wire object but it does not work.

The Wire Solver's fracturing works by unsharing points, not by splitting primitives. Consider pre-fracturing the wire geometry and using the Fuse SOP to join the pieces before simulation.
12 posts
How would I pre-fracture the wire geometry. I attempted it with a facet SOP with unique points, but the point count never changes. I would imagine it would double if the facet was working as it does on poly's
8594 posts
use Convert Line SOP
it will break your curve into individual segment curves, while still keeping points fused
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
12 posts
Looks like the Convert Line Sop worked.

Thanks
8 posts
OH! This is a good idea. I have been using thin tet tubes and FEM and I get really nice results! I recommend you try. It so nice!!
  • Quick Links