RBD collision layer/no collide DOP

6533   8   1
87 posts
I'm trying to setup a collision layer thing, where I have multiple rbd objects and colliders, but one of the RBD objects ignores one of the colliders. i found a file on this forum with a no collider DOP setup but it doesn't seem to work. The help for this DOP has no example files.

Anyone know how to use it?

P.S. It was also mentioned that collision layer relationships can be setup with merge nodes using the Affector Relationship (left affects right vs mutual) but this seems to have no effect or at least doesn't do what I'd expect.

Thanks!

Attachments:
collision_layer.hip (243.5 KB)

/ken_jones/$: _
8554 posts
you can use it like this
the same as your setup, but you have to specify the same names in Collider Labels as NoCollider nodes are looking for

then as well you can use Affector DOP, to define collide relationships

if you can use Bullet, it gets even easier as you can use collisionignore and collisiongroup attributes since H14

Attachments:
collision_layer_fix.hip (406.7 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
87 posts
Hey Tomas,

Thanks a lot for the file. I see the change you made but it doesn't look like its doing anything different from the file I uploaded. I expect dop object sphere_object3 to collide with the top grid and sphere_object2 to pass through the top one and collide with the bottom one. Right now both are passing through the top one.

FYI I am using Bullet. If you had a sec, a quick example of the other setups you mentioned (or even just a fix of the one you already sent) would be greatly appreciated!
8554 posts
here is the bullet example of using collisiongroup and collisionignore attributes

Attachments:
ts_bullet_collisiongroups.hip (188.1 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
87 posts
Fantastic, this is great. Thanks a lot Tomas!
23 posts
Hi Tomas!

i was wondering if it is possible to use the collisionignore/collisiongroup workflow while keeping the ignored objects active (the grids in the hip file you provided are set to passive). If not, is there any other solution?

i have a building collapsing. i'd like to be able to make only the windows explode outwords. To make this happen im using an expanding collider (which are the same windows geometry sized down)

I dont want the main structure to be influenced by the window_collider since this make the all building explode crazy

simplified hip file attached

thanks in advance
your help and anyone else's is much appreciated

Attachments:
skys_destr_El.[1-50].mp4 (1.9 MB)
meteorite_v50_TomasS.hip (7.9 MB)

8554 posts
sure it is possible, just add
collisionignore to your objects in main_colliders group
and set it to win_colliders

because while you have set win_colliders to ignore main colliders and they probably are
it's more important that main_colliders ignore win_colliders to not be affected by them, so you got that part missing

Attachments:
meteorite_v50_tomass_fix.hip (9.7 MB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
23 posts
Thanks a lot Tomas!
7 posts
I'm trying to use collision_layer_fix.hip but it doesn't work for me (H15), both spheres just go straight through the top grid.

I can't use collisiongroup and collisionignore attributes as I'm not using packed objects.

Any ideas?
  • Quick Links