Bridge and Extrusion like in Blender?

3046   5   0
59 posts
I'm moving my first steps into Houdini, starting with the quick start tutorials.
Right now I'm stuck with what I think it's a simple operation.

Just for the sake of learning, I'm creating a circle, extruding the faces and here I'm already noticing something which confuses me a little, let me show you with the help of some screen grabs:
circle

extrude & scale

delete unwanted poly

extrusion

unexpected, the base now is “empty”

preparing for polycap:

after polycap:

Now, let's do the same in Blender:

after extrusion

bottom is filled as well

pretending it wasn't and that the result was same as Houdini (let's delete bottom faces then)

select edge loops and bridge them out

done

mesh is clean, as it appears after a subsurf applied

So, I'm confused what happened in Houdini after the first extrusion and why after the poly cap geo is not clean.

Perhaps there's a different way to do this in Houdini..

Any hints?
Andrew
Houdini Apprentice
678 posts
PolyExtrudeSOP -> Options -> Output Back
59 posts
mantragora
PolyExtrudeSOP -> Options -> Output Back

Thank you Mantragora.
Andrew
Houdini Apprentice
1755 posts
Play with houdini's modeling OPs by all means - it's a familiar ground as far as concepts go and will allow you to get in touch with the way Houdini works.
If you intend to model something more “serious” (perhaps even for a production god forbid) I strongly recommend you to keep modeling in Blender for the time being.
You'd probably reach that conclusion yourself soon enough, I just wanted to let you know “it's not you”
2537 posts
There is a free Bridge modeling tool on Orbolt. If you don't know, Orbolt is kind of like the Blender Market place.

https://www.orbolt.com/asset/AlexeyVanzhula::bridgepolygons [orbolt.com]
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
59 posts
McNistor
Play with houdini's modeling OPs by all means - it's a familiar ground as far as concepts go and will allow you to get in touch with the way Houdini works.
If you intend to model something more “serious” (perhaps even for a production god forbid) I strongly recommend you to keep modeling in Blender for the time being.
You'd probably reach that conclusion yourself soon enough, I just wanted to let you know “it's not you”

Good to know, thanks McNistor.
I'm still familiarizing with Houdini, that's why I thought it was a good idea starting from the basics. But since I'm mainly interested in particles, perhaps I can move on and skip some of the modelling for now, after all no matter what 3d app I use I always go back to Blender for more challenging modelling, at least I'm very familiar with it.

Enivob
There is a free Bridge modeling tool on Orbolt. If you don't know, Orbolt is kind of like the Blender Market place.

https://www.orbolt.com/asset/AlexeyVanzhula::bridgepolygons [orbolt.com]

Thanks for the heads up Enivob. Right now the site seems to be down, I'll try again later.
Andrew
Houdini Apprentice
  • Quick Links