difference between Render view and MPlay!?!

5596   3   1
41 posts
Hey,
I have set up a pyro sim and now want to render it. For most of the time I used the render view to preview the changes I have made. Now I want to render the animation using MPlay but if I render a test frame it looks totaly different(totally washed out). I would much prefer the look of the Render View
I used the same mantra node for both set to Micropolygon PBR.

Thanks for your help

Attachments:
Houdini_Renderview_Mplay.PNG (293.8 KB)

8575 posts
it's probably just gamma
while you can edit it nn Mplay or Render View color correct panel, it's best to set the defaults for both to be the same

so go to Edit/Color Settings/Color Correction and make sure all checkboxes are checked and to work in correct colorspace you would want gamma to be around 2.2 or use proper LUT

the look in render view is probably gamma 1 and while you may like it better it's physically incorrect (unless you have linear monitor), so it would be better if you can be looking at your render with gamma 2.2 (like you see currently in Mplay) and adjust your lights and materials to your liking
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
5161 posts
The Render View is also using raytracing, always (IPR has to use raytracing), while regular a mantra render is using micropolygon rendering. I suspect if you switch that mantra ROP to use raytracing, you'll get the same result.
41 posts
Thanks both of you for the tips.

I hadn't changed my overall gamma so it was still set to 2.2 in Edit/Color Settings/Color Correction and all the check boxes were ticked.
Changing to Raytraced didn't do the trick either.

I now have a look in MPlay that I like - and looks pretty close to the one in the Render view - but still there seems to be slight difference between the two which isn't as dramatic as it was when I uploaded the screenshot. Not quite sure what was the reason.
It is also noticable when I load in a background image into both. In the Render View it looks a lot more “washed-out” when compared to MPlay.
  • Quick Links