Geometry light and lambert

1935   6   1
143 posts
Hello,

I have placed a box geometry light inside of another box that has a material with some transparent openings (windows on an apartment). The problem is that I can see the light on the material where there are no openings (circled blue line). Is there a way to prevent this? Renderer is using PBR with no shadows on the geo lights, although raytrace produces similar result'

Thank you,
~Caesar

Attachments:
material_light.png (107.3 KB)
material_light_nodes.png (21.7 KB)

143 posts
anyoneeee?
Staff
2540 posts
Attaching scene files always helps your cause.

As a wild hairy guess, is this bounce light? Try setting indirect light contribution to 0?
There's at least one school like the old school!
2540 posts
Try adding a Facet SOP to the end of your building geometry network and turn on Unique Points. That may help with some of that edge lighting.
Edited by - Sept. 26, 2015 09:48:44

Attachments:
ap_geolight_buildings.hipnc (1.2 MB)
Untitled-2.jpg (84.3 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
2540 posts
Yes with the Facet SOP. And then check ray bias.

If these are just single surface wall buildings, you could have light leaking due to shadow ray bias.

One solution is to construct your buildings that have internal light emitters with actual walls with extruded thickness. That helps any render engine a lot including Mantra.
There's at least one school like the old school!
143 posts
Thank you gentlemen! I will give it a try this evening.

~Caesar
143 posts
Thank you guys for helping - I should've attached the scene file; I tried to be thorough and show the screenshot of the material I was using - the idea was to use a material to randomly vary the opacity of each window so they looked like individual units. So I built a new scene from scratch and the anomaly is not there any longer…I have no idea why! I built the shader the exact same way. :?

Here is the new scene file

Attachments:
windows.png (136.8 KB)
windows.hiplc (1.4 MB)

• Quick Links