Unable to get Break SOP to work as in tutorial

2024   2   1
2042 posts
In the tutorial ( Ari Danesh - Next Steps MO6 ) at the 15:20 minute mark Ari is showing how to use the Break SOP.

I am having problems getting it to work.

One of the first things he does is with the break sop placed down is set selection to primitives and then enable the select tool.

Then he places the cursor over the face of the front side of the top half of the box that is going to be moved and saying “…select one of these primitives and hit the zero key to select all…”

He then hits the t key from which he grabs the top handle and moves the newly separated top half from the bottom half. ( Screen Shot “A” )

First problem for me is that hitting the zero key does nothing. Now I noticed that he is using a Mac and so I went into help to try and find an equivalent perhaps because I am on Windows. The only thing that I found close is that there is the n key for selecting all. However, this doesn't work for me in the sense it selects everything in both top and bottom halves of the break.

So as an alternative I did a combination of shift + clicks for all 4 sides of the top half and top.

but when I go do the transform it moves those selections but still maintains a connection to the bottom creating a mesh between the two. ( See my “B” screenshot ).

So in attempt to try different things I unchecked “create inside surfaces” of the break SOP.

When I do that it creates a clean break between the top and bottom half, but it doesn't create face where the break was made and so am left with an open shell.
( See my “C” screenshot ).

I am at a lost, after trying many different “settings” looking through my UI and reading the help file on the break SOP to know what to do to get it work.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments:
break_A.jpg (63.1 KB)
break_B.jpg (61.3 KB)
break_C.jpg (61.6 KB)

333 posts
what he means with the 0 key is basically: select all connected geometry.

this has changed. Hit the 9 key and in the dropdown of the panel choose 3d connectivity.

Attachments:
H15-selectConnected.png (51.7 KB)

2042 posts
This works,

Thank you very much.
  • Quick Links