Display some objects with texture

2590   7   2
216 posts
Hello, I have a really newbie question..

How can I do to force display some objects with their textures and leave others with the current display mode (in wireframe for example) ?

Thanks.
216 posts
Just a bump to my question with a screenshot to illustrate.
Do you know how to keep my (here selected) grid object textured (left) when I switch to wireframe mode (right) ?

Thanks.

Attachments:
displayKeepSomeObjectTextured_01.jpg (158.2 KB)

Staff
5161 posts
You can do this by overriding the shading mode for “Selected Scene Object”:

1) Open the Display Options, Markers tab
2) “Set display options for” - to Selected Scene Geometry
3) “Use” = Unique Settings
4) Under the Draw column, enable “Lock Shading Mode”
5) Change the draw mode from “Smooth Shaded” to “Smooth Wire Shaded”

Now any selected scene object will be drawn Smooth Wire Shaded, regardless of the global shading mode (ie, wireframe).
216 posts
And that work ! Thank you !
But do you know if you can do same thing without need to keep object selected.

I would like to use some “textured only” objects at same time (as reference for 3d construction) and work on other objects on any display mode.

As an example (and I hope do not offend you) here is a screenshot of how it can be done in softimage, with common display option on a bunch of objects.

Thanks.

Attachments:
displayKeepSomeObjectTextured_02.jpg (149.7 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
I like to model against objects with 2x2 grids and textures applied. Then add/adjust point Color Cd and Alpha attributes to the modelled geometry to see through them. Adjust Alpha to taste.

One method to be able to model/sculpt in wireframe on top of three other objects with grids and textures applied to model against is to apply point and alpha colors to your model while leaving the viewport in a shaded wireframe mode that supports textures.

Using a Point SOP, you can add both Color and Alpha channels. Delete the expressions on those parameters. RMB (RightMouseButton) on the labels and choose “Delete Channels”.

Now you can set the Color to be a Cyan by setting RGB parameters to 0,1,1 and set the alpha to taste.

For this to work, your display mode should be set to any of the shaded modes with wires that supports texture display:
- Smooth shaded with wires
- Flat shaded with wires

To work with this feature, you can:

- Adjust the Alpha parameter on the Point SOP. To make this handy, you can drag and drop the Alpha parameter label on to the viewport to create a HUD. Then RMB on the hud to make it persistent. Now you have access to this all the time. 0 = fully transparent and just the wires, 1= fully opaque, or anything in between.

- Add another Point SOP later on to manipulate Color Cd and Alpha however you wish

- Blow the attributes away later on in the chain as a clean-up set. You can use the Attribute Delete SOP to delete the point attributes Cd Alpha.

- Simply bypass the Point SOP that adds the Color Cd and Alpha point attributes to remove them.
There's at least one school like the old school!
216 posts
Hello jeff,

Thank you for the tip ! Not super user friendly.. but it does the job !
Staff
2540 posts
Please submit an RFE to have better support for this method of modeling off of background planes and reference this thread.
There's at least one school like the old school!
216 posts
Ok, I'll make an RFE.
Thanks.
  • Quick Links