Use Alembic in DOPs

2922   7   3
1 posts
Hello, this is my first post here. I'm trying to learn houdini and I have a problem.

I have an Alembic file exported from Maya, with a whole bunch of Objs and animation.
I'm wondering if there's an easy way to import all the geo from the alembic file into a DopNet as Static Objects (Deforming Geo) without having to select one by one for there are hundreds of them, and I need them to interact with some Particles.

Thanks!
Carlos C.
2624 posts
Hi first of all you will want to scale down your Alembic files from Maya as they will be huge. See attached for the steps I use to bring in Alembic and unpack it

Rob

Attachments:
process_alembic.hip (59.6 KB)

Gone fishing
31 posts
Hi Circus Monkey - I like your setup - but when I import an alembic, I've been using to use the “Import” option from the file menu. That way I get the camera, and access to the animated nodes.

Is there any way to apply your“unpack” trick to this?

I ask because right now with the import method I can't select the entire group of alembic Geo - when I try it only selects one bit of Geo (presumably the last one i lassoed ) and jumps all the way into that network!

I think unpacking is the key… though i don't understand why completely.
2624 posts
can you post up a test abc file and hip , you can read animation and split geometry off easily at the SOP level

Rob
Gone fishing
8555 posts
Cameron W
…That way I get the camera, and access to the animated nodes.
you can import camera the way you do, but if you really want to have quick access to any geometry from your abc file just import it all through Alembic SOP and filter objects you want, then unpack those if needed

Cameron W
… when I try it only selects one bit of Geo (presumably the last one i lassoed ) and jumps all the way into that network!
this is because you have a nested hierarchy
so if you really want to keep using Alembic Archive Object, uncheck Build Hierarchy using Subnets and hit Build or Update Hierarchy button
it will keep all the objects from within alembic at the same level, making it easy to multiselect them

but again except for cameras or occassional quick access to specific transforms I recommend using Alembic SOP for dealing with geometry inside of abc files
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
702 posts
I agree with the alembic sop method

we always write our cameras out into their own alembic files and geometry into their alembic files

so much easier to maintain especially if there is a change to either animation or cameras, albeit a bit more maintenance with versions of abcs…
31 posts
Thanks guys - this is awesomely helpful information - i seriously appreciate it.

We're doing some pretty high-end VFX for a national ad, and are trying to iron out our pipeline (which we are creating for the first time!)

Alembic vs FBX…? I feel like Alembic is simpler. (It's Maya - Houdini - Nuke pipelline)
702 posts
alembics are more versatile and cleaner in my opinion, unless you need a rigged character
  • Quick Links