Gold shader problem

2669   4   2
34 posts
Hi, I would be grateful if you could help me.

I am watching this tutorial: https://vimeo.com/142534640 [vimeo.com]

and when I add gold material to the rubbertoy it doesn't show up in render window when there is default lighting.

When I add environment light the rubbertoy is way too overexposed, and changing light intensity doesn't make it look like on this tutorial.

Could you please advise what I do wrong? I will appreciate any help.
Staff
2540 posts
One issue with material applications is understanding the override precedence order and where materials are applied.

Materials applied directly to the geometry supersede materials applied at the object level. I think this is what you are running in to.

You can append a Material SOP to the end of the geometry chain inside the Rubber toy object, move the display/render flag to this Material SOP and then reference your material there from the material parameter.

The Rubber toy has materials applied to the geometry with Material SOPs. This adds the attribute shop_materialpath to the primitives with the path to the shader.

Why Kai was able to drag and drop the material on to the rubber toy and have it work was probably due to Kai viewing the geometry while in the SOP Geometry context. In that case, the DND will append a Material SOP for you.
There's at least one school like the old school!
34 posts
Thank you for your answer, however I don't think it explains why I do not receive a result looking like the one from tutorial.

Any object I create with GOLD material are almost invisible in render view when I apply area or default lights. They are also strongly overexposed when I create environment light.

Can anyone advise how to render gold material correctly?
34 posts
Guys, please! Can anyone advise how to achieve gold color like in the 1min30sec of this tutorial - https://vimeo.com/142534640 [vimeo.com]
??
242 posts
Like all reflective materials, they need something to reflect.
The environment light emits white light from all directions unless you put a environment map in it.

Houdini ships with three maps. Try putting $HFS/houdini/pic/DOSCH_CARB_04SN_lowres.ratin your environment slot…
  • Quick Links