Sharing digital assets among users in a studio setting - how to?

2590   3   0
8 posts
Hi,

I'm looking for a little guidance as how sensibly share digital assets and shaders in a studio environment. Having come from Softimage we did this via shared workgroups (which contained collactions of shaders, plugins, scripts etc) which would be loaded into a users profile as required.
For Houdini I am attempting to approach this in the follwoing manner. I have set up a shared network repository which will hold all of the shared assets. I have added an environment variable ($HSITE) to the user .env file, to guide Houdini to this folder but this doesn't seem to be working as expected. I had thought that Houdini would pick up this path on startup and scan for installed asset libraries and install them but I have to manually install the asset library from within a Houdini session for it to pick up.

Is this the correct environment variable to use for this purpose?

I am defining my path to the shared repository in the env file as below;

HSITE = //“Servername”/Resources/Houdini/Shared_Repository/houdini15.5

Thanks in advance for any pointers on this

Tom
648 posts
It's very simple: Put the assets somewhere on the network, people copy stuff to $HIP as needed.‎
8 posts
I'd rather that it wasn't a manually process. It certainly can be but that's a bit of a headache to monitor and control.
648 posts
IP_Animation
… but that's a bit of a headache to monitor and control.

unnecessary; if people want to use something they'll just grab it themselves.
Edited by anon_user_40689665 - June 24, 2016 09:40:39
  • Quick Links