Flip and ocean surface merge

5160   4   1
23 posts
hello guys!!

Recently I'am working on water breaching effect in Houdini 15. And for post process I want to combine ocean grid and flip Simulations so that it looks seamless in all sense, I don't know how to do that so if anybody knows any kind of seamless method please do tell me.

looking of help!!
323 posts
Hi,
It is sort of possible. But not straigh forward at all.
I helped with the setup here: https://vimeo.com/150886395 [vimeo.com]

The issue is that the
ocean waves has a cool procedural shader that uses UV Atttributes and point velocity etc.
A wave layer tank does not have that by default.

It is quite a while ago that i did that, and looking at the old scene i cant fully figure it out what i did.

I made sure that oceanspecturm has the same values both ion the waves and in the wave layer.
And i turned on Point Velocity and UV Attributes in the ocean_render/preview (ocean evaluate) Geometry tab.
Now one issue is that the nice shader from ocean waves does displacements and ocean waves does not need displacement…
It will never 100% fit but it was good enough for us at the time.

I hope this helps. Sorry for being vague but this was over a year ago when i did that.

kind regards

Olaf

23 posts
Thank You olaf!!

I'll Definitely try your way and i'll let you know!!
just one question olaf… what if I'am using flip tank for liquid simulation and then i want to combine ocean surface and flip mesh..?

thanks in advance!!
323 posts
Hi,
the aim is to “sync” the waves from ocean surface (which are purely generated not simulated) with simulated water.
With the wave tank you have without a boad almost the same waves as with ocean surface. This gets distubed by the boat or whatever.
Ocean surce with the ocean surface shader produces foam by displacement. In a wave tank flip simulation the foam is particles.

hope this makes it a bit clearer.

kind regards

Olaf
27 posts
What about when We're making waves?
  • Quick Links