[novice] Need help with optimum settings for meshing (in Particle Fluid Surface node)

1665   3   0
350 posts
In my flattank_fluid node I've set my Particle Separation to a coarse value of 0.2 even though I know I want my final value to be 0.02. (Note to self- upgrade RAM!)
If I use 0.02 my playback or preview takes forever even after caching, so perhaps I am doing something wrong(likely!)
I've then gone and cached just 1 second of particles in my compressed_cache node.

When it comes to meshing-surfacing however in my Particle Fluid Surface nodes I am confused by optimum settings to use.

Should I use the same Particle Separation? Can it be smaller and still make a difference?
What about Voxel Scale?

Any other tips or optimizations appreciated!
2624 posts
Particle separation really depends on what your doing , if you have a scaled up object like a glass filling and a mid shot putting a particle separation of 0.02 might be overkill also the particle separation is important as you might find collisions dont work well and you get leeks of particles if your separation is to high. There's a H15 master class on new fluid tools https://vimeo.com/145178660 [vimeo.com]

Feel free to post up test scenes !

Rob
Gone fishing
350 posts
scene file attached.
Another way of asking my question >

What is the relationship between Particle Separation values used when surfacing vs Particle Separation values when defining initial sim? Are there any best practices?
Edited by art3mis - Oct. 21, 2016 03:53:54

Attachments:
2016.09.10_FlipFluidsWebinar - Copy (2).zip (274.2 KB)

2624 posts
eco_bach
What is the relationship between Particle Separation values used when surfacing vs Particle Separation values when defining initial sim? Are there any best practices?

Both are just defining the particle separation , for surfacing I guess it helps to have a start point ….
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links