Trying to export FLIP fluid to Maya

3731   5   1
4 posts
Hello!

I'm a new (really new) Houdini user and I am desperately trying to work through a problem I just cannot seem to solve. I've been following this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKIWQY7tzo [youtube.com]

To make a realistic beach scene. Then, I've taken the results of that, creating a VDB from that, and then trying to output to an Alembic file. However, at the end of this process Maya cannot import it, saying “// Error: line 1: particleShape1: Object not found for -object flag.”. If I try to re-import the file into Houdini, it comes up completely blank.

Again, I'm sure I'm doing something catastrophically stupid but I'm really new to Houdini and there's a lot to process here. Any help would be absolutely invaluable.
2624 posts
Hi , without following the tutorial, do you have a simple scene I can have to look at.The standard workflow is export the surfaced mesh with colour attributes for vel etc.

Rob
Edited by circusmonkey - Nov. 1, 2016 16:42:29
Gone fishing
336 posts
Does Maya even support VDB in alembic files?
4 posts
circusmonkey
Hi , without following the tutorial, do you have a simple scene I can have to look at.The standard workflow is export the surfaced mesh with colour attributes for vel etc.

Rob

After spending another 10 hours or so on this problem I think I've got the main problem worked out – I can now import the actual mesh into Maya. I think what I was doing beforehand was trying to export the voxels which, obviously, wasn't working super well.

That being said, I still can't solve another problem. Basically I'm trying to create a wave crashing on a beach that's able to loop infinitely in time for a video I'm making. I need to render it in Maya, so I have to export it as polygons which I think I've now accomplished. But the looping in time aspect is now causing problems, as I can't seem to make it seamlessly loop, despite following another separate tutorial on making flames loop in Houdini. I realize it's not quite the same but, as an extreme newbie, this is pretty much the best I could find on this topic…
2624 posts
Thats never going to work , flip is driven by points and you need that unique $ID

Rob
Gone fishing
4 posts
circusmonkey
Thats never going to work , flip is driven by points and you need that unique $ID

Rob

Hm. I guess I don't understand – probably entirely due to my newbie-ness with Houdini. Well, either way, thanks for the help! I'll keep messing with it and I'll try to see if I can come up with something…
  • Quick Links