Q about Copy SOP, and how it places the copied geometry

1970   5   1
109 posts
Hi,

How does the Copy SOP actually work? I mean, what part, or point, in the source geometry, is placed in to target point?
If you open the attached file, you will see that i have poly that are copied in to 4 target points. If i modify the source geo's position, the copies are not in correct place.
I assumed that the source geometry will be placed in to target points so that the center of geo is placed in to point.

Cheers
-kimmo
Edited by KiLa - Nov. 3, 2016 15:30:37

Attachments:
copy.hipnc (63.2 KB)
Untitled.png (145.8 KB)

2537 posts
It does work that way by default, but in your RED Translate node you have effectively created a pivot offset with the 0.4 value in the X axis field. Set it to 0.0 and it works as expected.
Edited by Enivob - Nov. 4, 2016 10:58:52

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (92.7 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
109 posts
The translation was done in purpose, to illustrate the problem that when the source geo is some ‘odd’ position.
Sooo, in order to get expected results from the Copy SOP, source geo must be placed in the origin? Is that the ‘rule’?

-kimmo
Staff
4168 posts
Correct, and facing down +Z.

Here is a page on the docs with more info on the subject: Your text to link here… [sidefx.com]
I'm o.d.d.
109 posts
Sooo - is there a way to procedurally place the source geo in to origin? Not sure, but i'm guessing that we could do it via Attribute VOP, and do the transformation (translation and rotation) for each point…or can we do for the entire geo via Transform SOP?

-k
109 posts
Little progress: i have way to place the object in to origin, by subtracting its centorid
The remaining question is: how do i reset the rotation? I haven't found a good article (= noob level, that i would understand) about transformation and how they are made/calculated.

-k
  • Quick Links