Cloth pinned to moving constraint

3342   2   2
33 posts
Hi All,

I'm trying to get a cloth object to pin to a moving line, like a kite flying around.
I can get it to ‘constrain to internal animation’ so it hangs there on its own points, but when I constrain to the line, it just falls off even though the constraints are visualized correctly. I've attached a file. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Morgan

Attachments:
Ribbon_problem.hiplc (298.4 KB)

806 posts
Moin, Morgan,

I am in bed already, no Houdini (not even Harry) here - but one suggestion I can offer is: You could constrain the softbody to a rigid body. To do this, make sure your “line” is a RBD. You may want to exclude it from the gravity node, if it isn't to be influenced by gravity.
Then “attach” the cloth to that rigid body using the function available in the cloth shelf (cannot remember the correct name). You can specify which points on the cloth are to be attached to what polygons on the rigid body.
Then make sure that in the DOP import for the line object (where the actual simulation geometry gets copied for bullet) you set the rigid body to both “respect transform” and “respect deformation” (the terms are slightly different, but you'll see it when you click on the topmost node for the rigid body import in the DOP).
That should respect the animation of the “line” and, thanks to the constraint, move the cloth along.

I can look into your scene tomorrow, if this should not be of any help!

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
33 posts
That worked a charm, Malbrecht! At first it didn't work but I realized that RBD defaulted to to “Use Volume based collision”. As soon as I turned that off it worked. Thank you!
  • Quick Links