convert 3d model parts into instances

1981   6   1
90 posts
Hello,

I have a 3D model of a chandelier that has a lot of repetitive parts. Is there a way to select one part as a source object for the instance, and then some how get the location of the other parts and replace them with instances of the source object?

Thank you.
2041 posts
Copystamping with the copy node will let you do what you want.

This video will help you how to use it, but the part the is revelant to you doesn't start until about the 9 minute mark.

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/copy-stamping-node/ [sidefx.com]

For your source you can use an object merge node to bring in your source object as a source for the copy node.

From then you can set up nodes that will be used to configure the positioning of your copies. For instance if you just wanted to lay out lights in a single row. Put down a transform node that follows your object node and put in the copystamp function in the transforms tx paramater.
90 posts
BabaJ
Copystamping with the copy node will let you do what you want.

This video will help you how to use it, but the part the is revelant to you doesn't start until about the 9 minute mark.

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/copy-stamping-node/ [sidefx.com]

For your source you can use an object merge node to bring in your source object as a source for the copy node.

From then you can set up nodes that will be used to configure the positioning of your copies. For instance if you just wanted to lay out lights in a single row. Put down a transform node that follows your object node and put in the copystamp function in the transforms tx paramater.

Hi BabaJ,

Thank you for the reply but I'm not sure this works for what I'm wanting. Doesn't the copy node creates actual geometry instead of creating instances?

I've attached a picture of my model, as you can see, the crystal parts are repeated a lot and they're actual copies vs instances of one object. What I'm wanting to do is to store their position, and then use the position to layout the instances.

Attachments:
002.PNG (308.9 KB)

483 posts
What is your understanding of an instance?
Or do you mean packed geometry?
Or some base parts which you can copy?
Edited by matthias_k - Jan. 7, 2017 17:58:55

Attachments:
copy_with_obj_merge.hip (71.9 KB)
candle_thing.hip (189.7 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
90 posts
matthias_k
What is your understanding of an instance?
Or do you mean packed geometry?
Or some base parts which you can copy?
Yeah, I meant packed geometry, but I usually use the instance node for instancing. The reason I'm wanting to do this is because I'm using a gpu render (octane) and the gpu vram is limited so I'm trying to optimize my scene. I'll take a look at your attachments when I'm on my workstation. Thanks!

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/obj/instance [sidefx.com]
Edited by uuLLFA - Jan. 7, 2017 21:42:25
483 posts
Maybe this is helpy..
Sorry no Octane installed on this machine, therefore I can not
really say what performs better.
(Candle Revolve objects may not in the abc file, because Nurbs)
Edited by matthias_k - Jan. 8, 2017 02:57:03

Attachments:
copy_stamp_not_packed.png (953.2 KB)
candle_thing_not_packed.abc (604.0 KB)
candle_thing_packed.abc (61.3 KB)
copy_stamp_pack.png (1.0 MB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
483 posts
Have this in mind…
if the copy contains packed geometry, then you have to be careful
with stamps. Maybe use an Unpack SOP after Object Merge.
Edited by matthias_k - Jan. 8, 2017 03:25:14

Attachments:
candle_thing_stamp.hip (210.1 KB)
copy_contains_packed.jpg (424.6 KB)
copy_contains_not_packed.jpg (427.4 KB)
copy_contains_packed_unpacked.jpg (438.3 KB)

• Quick Links