Static Collision mesh issues.

1858   4   2
72 posts
Sorry to be posting all these questions, but Im having issues with forming a proper collision mesh for my fluid sim. Is there anyway to just use the mesh from the actual object I'm using in the scene? From what I understand I need to have the mesh closed in with some volume in order to create a proper collision mesh. If so, I tried extruding the edge of the cliff mesh shown in the screen below down the z axis but I can't seem to be able to get it to extrude along a single axis.. But can anyone suggest a good method for creating a collision mesh for the “cliff” object I have?
Edited by Sneil - Jan. 20, 2017 18:33:11

Attachments:
FlipCollision04.jpg (793.6 KB)
FlipCollision03.jpg (801.9 KB)
FlipCollision05.jpg (776.8 KB)
FlipCollision06.jpg (578.4 KB)

2624 posts
Hi, The best way to get answers to a scene problem is to create a simple scene showing the issue, which can be posted here, that others can open and alter / fix . The simple scene can often be made out of simple geometry like a grid / sphere / torus etc etc.

The added bonus is that you can slowly get a large collection of sample houdini scene files that show you how to achieve tasks. Posting a set of images doesn't really solve anything in the way of your problem.

To create a good collision vdb you do need an enclosed surface or you can create a vdb by using vdb from particles sop. So in your case with that odd shape you could scatter lots of points over the surface and create your enclosed surfaces from there.
Edited by circusmonkey - Jan. 20, 2017 19:46:41

Attachments:
enclose_surface_v02.hip (91.4 KB)

Gone fishing
72 posts
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll be sure to do that for future issues and problems I come across. And, thank you immensely for the file! It was very helpful with the polyextrude as that was something I was needing for the model and extruding along the z axis. This solved the issue with the collision mesh but I'm unable to get the same results as you flattening the base of the mesh as you did with your transform_scale_grp node. I just cant get it to do anything for me. After my polyextrude I also have a lot of gaps in the polygons around the sides of the mesh formed from the extrusion. I'm guessing the normals need to be flipped but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I'll post a file here in a bit…
2624 posts
Sounds like a bad mesh , check the faces / normals , make sure all your points are connected. Use the poly doctor sop / facet / reverse sop / group sop > group disconnected edges > fuse sop > fuse the created group. Lots of ways to check a poly mesh.

Rob
Gone fishing
483 posts
Maybe you can extend and then skin it?

Added water..
Edited by matthias_k - Jan. 21, 2017 13:35:40

Attachments:
extend_and_skin.hip (1.9 MB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
  • Quick Links