alembic export

2610   2   0
61 posts
Hi,

Exporting flip meshes to Maya via alembic. I've attached a basic test setup.

Maya does not import a sequence, only static frames. More specifically, it will import sequences, I can see my extra houdini attributes, just the mesh is not visible or renderable. Tried polys and poly soups.

Exocortex will do the job perfectly except only carries UV and N attributes. Seen lots of forum questions querying this over the years so guessing that modifying exocortex source to enable this is not going to be straightforward (or someone would have done it years ago).

Only solution is to use houdini engine as a bgeo importing HDA. Fine, except incovennient sometimes as it will tie up engine licenses.

Folk had similar experiences? (realise this is an autodeak issue per se since I dont have trouble with other alembic enabled apps… but thought I would check experiences, incase there is something quirky about maya alembic implementation that clashes with this setup).

thx.
2624 posts
frankvw
Maya does not import a sequence, only static frames. More specifically, it will import sequences, I can see my extra houdini attributes, just the mesh is not visible or renderable. Tried polys and poly soups.

That's incorrect.Unfortunately AD is behind the curve ball with Maya.You can export as frames or a complete .abc sequence You have to convert all your attributes to vertex and use Maya colour sets to use the data in vray. ie your v attribute needs to be converted to a colour vertex attribute.

Rob
Gone fishing
419 posts
I've transfer Flips sims and whitewater stuff into Maya through Vray Proxies and so far is working great.
If you aren't using Vray Alembic as cirusmonkey said wont work. Another option is to try this http://multi-verse.io/ [multi-verse.io]
  • Quick Links