Any way to make the UI elements larger on High DPI screens? (Hi DPI is already enabled.)

7487   5   0
19 posts
Hi guys,

Is there any way to make the UI elements larger on high DPI screens? I already have the High DPI option enabled in Preferences but they're still incredibly small and the text is almost unreadable. Is there another setting I'm missing that I could be utilizing?
710 posts
Hi chrono, silly question but you did restart Houdini correct? I would think High DPI looks okay on a 4K-ish screen since everything is enormous at 1080p.

You can change the size of UI fonts. Copy the resources file from your Houdini install (for example C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 15.5.xxx\houdini\config\resources) to the config folder in your Houdini preferences folder. Edit the font sizes at the top and relaunch.
19 posts
Yep I restarted and they are a little bigger, but still barely readable. The screen I'm running it on is 220ppi.

I'll give the config options a whirl. In the mean time I've been scaling the screen using the OS controls which works, but is annoying if you're using more programs than just Houdini.

Thanks for the config suggestion.
Staff
2540 posts
I find the same issue on my MacBook Pro with retina display.

You can set the system environment variable HOUDINI_UISCALE and set it to 120.

If you use bash shells on the Mac or on Linux, do:

export HOODINI_UISCALE=120

On Windows best to set a system environment variable. Google how to set Windows system wide variables.
There's at least one school like the old school!
Staff
3455 posts
export HOUDINI_UISCALE=120
_________^________________

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
2 posts
Here is nice video on how to make the UI icons larger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-eAOJqPq0M [www.youtube.com]
Brian Kokoszka
brian@briankokoszka.com
  • Quick Links