Pie

3162   14   2
253 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/38109/ [sidefx.com]

McNistor
Really

I don't have to imagine anything because..

jordibares
IMHO marking menues is one of the big failures of UI/UX, great for demos, extremely poor for production.

9 months later, lets think again…

I'll rethink and say, Thanks so much SESI
1755 posts
While the little devil and angel on my shoulders are at each other throats about whether I should engage in this or not, I'll make my own mind and reply:

I think you're a little confused. I don't think those radial menus are “marking menus” (I didn't alpha/beta test H16 so I can't know for sure) they're simply menus, in a shape of a disk or pie or w/e.
So no gestures.
If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone that knows for sure will correct me.

Either way, Jordi's, OneBigTree's and my points regarding hotkeys being superior remains. The radial menus is a nice addition, not a replacement for a robust hotkey system.
253 posts
Yeah well, I myself was holding back for like 6 months, lol, ever since the Roadmap Presentation at SIGGRAPH 2016.

So, confused how ?

Check 00:40 in this vid. https://vimeo.com/202435893 [vimeo.com] It says “Customizable, gesture-based menus”. Even if they were “just menus in some shape”, it's exactly the functionality I was talking about.

The addition of radial menus and the new network editor are no coincidence. The synergy that it creates it's essential to any user of Houdini. So it's no accident that they went so hard after both of them in this release. Crazy performance and mad customizibility, if you know what I mean….
Edited by A-OC - Feb. 8, 2017 17:13:49
4189 posts
sure….but what is the purpose of this thread except to gloat?
253 posts
Gloat, I just looked it up, I'm not a native speaker, ugly word. I'd say rejoice, for one thing. But mainly to share views and discuss in a healthy manner. Absolutely no gloating here, I didn't mean to sound like that.
4189 posts
okay - pie style menu have been around since ~1998. So it's cool that Houdini has the option now to use them but hardly a time to rethink their overall usefulness. The best thing to help SideFx is not to just drink the kool-aid but to critically assess it by testing it when it comes out and giving feedback.

This helps in the long term.
253 posts
Of course, agreed 100%
766 posts
I'm going to Lightwave with Houdini; it's all making sense, personally.
【T】【C】【S】
Staff
329 posts
The main goal of the radial menus is to provide quicker access to tools. They let you keep one hand on the mouse/stylus and the pointer near the area you are working in the viewport. Also, menus can be quickly navigated without much effort visually parsing them if a frequently used item's position is known.
2040 posts
The main goal of the radial menus is to provide quicker access to tools.

And I'm sure lots of people who at times have a need to do a lot of repeating tasks in parts of their project will no doubt benefit much from such a feature.

Over the last year I've lost access to SolidWorks and since I'm leaning towards doing animation over my previous venture of designing products with 3d printing I've decided I am going to invest in the full version of HoudiniFX rather than a release of SolidWorks.

But I still want to do occassional 3d printing for personal use and decided to dive into the less expensive software of Rhino.

So the last month I'be been getting up to speed on modelling in Rhino and in the process started building up my own menu bars that have the tools I most often and repeatedly use. And with Rhino there are many steps you have to do that are very repeatative to get what you want - at least for what I want to design.

In seeing the radial menu that is custamizable on this recent streaming presentation, I thought, wow this would be a very big time saver in Rhino.

When you work with a large monitor and are visually oriented and better suited to using a mouse over keyboard shortcuts, a well designed radial menu does indeed let you move along much more quickly.

There are many cases I can see where the radial menu won't be of much use especially when your doing working that is ‘exploratory’; Meaning you just don't know what steps your going to be taking.

But with the new Boolean tools and radial menu….hmmm….will have to see how well and quickly I can come up to speed with modeling in Houdini.

Looks promising indeed.
4189 posts
The radial menu also seems appropriate in the node graph, as well as good keyboard shortcuts for common nodes.
253 posts
The point was to refute what you guys were saying. I have nothing to add for the moment. Thanks for your input.

In the meantime you might want to help me with the fur problem I'm having over at the other thread, I'd appreciate it.
253 posts
Wut! The post I just responded to just disappeared…
1755 posts
A-OC
Wut! The post I just responded to just disappeared…

That's because I've deleted it.
If you've read it, even though I think it was accurate, you saw that it was not very friendly towards you and I though I went against my own advice to keep things friendly and less ranty.

Anyway, let's wrap this thread up and rejoice for the good things H16 will bring us
253 posts
Great, I'm all in for friendly. Cheers!
  • Quick Links