UI Question

2010   5   4
100 posts
Newbie alert,
Im a softimage user and diving into houdini like there's no tomorrow.
I am missing the ability to access parameters I frequently use on a given scene much faster.
Say I need to tweak a set params that live on separate nodes, ie inside different objects. The best example that comes to mind is a Flip Sim/Emitter. Even using the technical desktop, I still find my self struggling with too many dive in/out. Granted, I've got quite a bit to learn still.
I suppose my workflow for this in softimage would be to create a group and place in under a hierarchy that is relevant for the task. The advantage of that group is, altho the group object can be at a completely dif. place on the scene, the nested objects remain where they are. So basically, “grouping” them wont disrupt the scene at all.
Would houdini have something similar by any chance ?
Using the filters on ‘tree view’ helps a Lot, yet sometimes it seems not to be enough.
Any insights would be mostly appreciated as usual !
Happy Friday everyone
A
Edited by axelsp - Feb. 24, 2017 14:09:06
28 posts
Maybe Bundles or Groups of your desired nodes can help in faster access?
Or the new 16 quickbookmarks?
100 posts
Dan, thanks a million!
Im checking @bundles right now, that seams to do what I need, cheers!
A
Staff
476 posts
You can use also use Smart Bundles.
You give them a pattern string to match and you can also have it filtered by node type.
The pattern format is a simplified regex like: “/obj/rig/*_deformer ^*head”
where ‘*’ expands to anything and prepending ‘^’ removes the match.

Then you can convert the Smart Bundle to a manual one, and remove of add to it manually.

You can also have a look at the Parameter Spreadsheet. It's a very powerful tool for editing multiple parameters at the same time. You can do copy/paste in the excel way where each row is a node and columns are parameters on the nodes.
You can save tremendous amount of time if you want to copy parameter values from one node to multiple ones and it saves you from scripting it.
260 posts
Just be aware that bundles cant be carried over to another scene with copy/paste.
Might be something that you need (assigning shaders on bundles) or something that you dont care about
147 posts
Yo Alex!

Simplest way of doing it is to:
a. add sliders at the topnode, after the SRT values or
b. collapse the entire tree into a subnet, and start adding sliders there.
(Be aware if you ‘unpack’ the subnet, you will loose all sliders.)

Access all the parameters in the network by clicking the cog wheel icon in the parameters panel and choose the first option.
You can now easily drag and drop parameter sliders, add min/max values to them and such.
You can even create new sliders parameters that will drive others inside the network.

Have a read on the ‘Parameter Interface’ and channel linking.
I asked about this here https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/48367/?page=1#post-218524 [sidefx.com]

If you need an example just say so,

rob
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
  • Quick Links