Houdini 16 interface slow

3035   4   0
224 posts
Hey all:

I noticed after upgrading to H16 that the scene view seems to lag slowly whenever something expensive (high res pyro,high res geometry,etc) is currently displaying int he viewport. I made a post earlier, because I thought it was pyro specific, but it does the same for dense height-field terrain. If I switch to any other tab in houdini, such as the render view and switch back to scene view, I it magically can orbit around perfectly fine. If I make another adjustment to what ever I am working on, it immediately lags again until I switch to another tab and back. What's up with this?

PC specs:

64 gigs ram
GTX 980 ti
intel xeon e5-1650 3.5 GHz

Thanks,
Thanks,

Evan
471 posts
Hello Evan.
Did you take a look at to this topic?
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/48607/ [sidefx.com]
224 posts
Thanks, last time I looked at that thread it didn't help. Seems like a 1000 posts have happened since then. Ill check it out and see if anything helps.
Thanks,

Evan
7717 posts
The two specific suggestions I've seen so far in a few threads are to ensure that you're NOT using nVidia 376.XX versioned video drivers (eg. use 378.XX on Windows), and to use the post-gold build like the newest production build (it's 16.0.557 as of this writing). If neither of those work, then also try the production build's Qt4 installer.
Edited by edward - March 27, 2017 23:55:00
224 posts
edward
The two specific suggestions I've seen so far in a few threads are to ensure that you're NOT using nVidia 376.XX versioned video drivers (eg. use 378.XX on Windows), and to use the post-gold build like the newest production build (it's 16.0.557 as of this writing). If neither of those work, then also try the production build's Qt4 installer.

Hah!

I updated my drivers for my gpu and updated houdini and now the problem is gone! I tried it at home on my station to see if it would work. Guess our school needs to update those dirvers!!
Edited by evanrudefx - March 28, 2017 11:48:48
Thanks,

Evan
  • Quick Links