Add contrast to texture of principled shader

4380   11   1
220 posts
Hey,

I am trying to complete what seems like a simple task. In maya, if I have a texture going into the diffuse, I can add a color composite node and make adjustments, such as adding contrast to the image which is what I want do here. I have a principled shader with a sand texture. I wish to add contrast to the image and/or color corrections. I found the texture node going into the base color. Seems like I would just add a color correction node? However, that does not work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (63.8 KB)

Thanks,

Evan
8524 posts
the Texture parameter as well as Texture input on basecolor is a string
it contains just path to the texture file, so you can't apply colorcorrection there

the easiest would be to apply colorcorection right after basecolor Combined Value output, assuming you are using basecolor just for the texture and not really combining with Base Color parm and/or Point Color

if you are using Base Color and/or Point Color multiplier, you can either unlock/jump into basecolor and add your color correction after hvectovec1 node
or maybe easier is to create new Surface Color Node just for the purpose of texture loading, append colorcorrection after that and multiply with your original basecolor node which uses modified Base Color parm and/or Point Color
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
323 posts
Hi Evan,
or, add a texture node after that the color correction plug that into base color (or whereever)…

kind regards

Olaf
323 posts
Hi Evan,
or, add a texture node after that the color correction plug that into base color (or whereever)…

kind regards

Olaf
220 posts
Olaf Finkbeiner
Hi Evan,

kind regards

Olaf

That's works : ) also thanks to all the answers.
Thanks,

Evan
4189 posts
also you can just add contrast, and any fancy effect, with the Compositor. Just prepend
op:
to the texture path. More fun and exciting! No need to unlock the Mat
129 posts
Artye very interesting, how does it work ? I'm trying using a texture vop and inserting op:img/comp_test/OUT in the texture map field but I can't make it work

Attachments:
cop.jpg (116.5 KB)

4189 posts
it's just missing the initial / in the path but you're also connecting it wrongly - so use the Texture tab on the Principle Shader parameters
129 posts
Yes, now it works, thank you !
4189 posts
Nice! It would be much better for new users if the ‘op:’ could be removed for textures. In the Display Opinions Background tab there is a pull down to choose Disk Image / COP Image with a chooser on the right side. Much better me thinks!

Discoverability 1 : frustration 0
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - April 7, 2017 17:36:36
8524 posts
not sure if op: is that difficult to use, it's really mostly about making it easier to find in help

op: is much broader concept so making a special case for textures would just be very inefficient and annoying

on top of that you can't really treat op: as texture replacement, since you can't use it to replace UDIM textures which you can encounter a lot these days

and if I remember correctly there were some limitations that op: adhoc textures were not exported to .rat and had to be loaded fully into the memory losing the advantage of random access and mip mapping, not sure this was or still is the case as I tend to avoid them, but definitely something to keep in mind and test
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
4189 posts
ah! Unoptimised / unfeatured Cops is boring back to Mat-land and ops: then.
  • Quick Links