File Referencing just like Maya

1540   1   1
48 posts
Hello everyone,
I am inexperienced in Houdini but I have used Maya for this, now I want to know how can I achieve this in Houdini.

In Maya I used to develop my character's hair/fur and shading, ready for rendering. Then when I receive the animated version of this rig from the anoimators, Maya automatically replaced the animator's character (which is without shading and hair/fur) with my character file (which is with hair/fur and shading).

Now I want to gradually turn this process into Houdini pipeline and want to know how can I achieve this with Houdini tools, what are the equivalents of this in Houdini?

Note:
I receive my animated scenes in Maya, one way I think is to export from Maya as alembic. But again, is it possible to receive that animated alembic and assign it to my character with hair/fur and shading? The point is that I don't want to repeatedly do the same process, i.e. importing alembic into Houdini, doing hair/fur assignment and shading over and over again.

Up to know I did this process in Maya, but due to Houdini's perfect dynamics I want to organize all post-animation process in Houdini.

Thx.
Edited by Emil - June 5, 2017 08:57:15
336 posts
Houdini works like that by default, you'll find it much more robust than Maya when it comes to file dependencies. Alembic data from Maya comes in very fast and clean into Houdini
  • Quick Links