Linux / Midi

4684   6   1
14 posts
Here's a really especific one…

I'm trying to hook up my BFC2000 (usb/midi controler) to houdini under FC4. i've installed the ALSA sound drivers wich has usb/midi support and “aconnect -i” identifies my midi device with no problems, but it won't show up in the MIDI chop.

The few resources I found on this say that you need to patch the device to the program using aconnect or some other program, but houdini won't show up as a “subscriber” of midi data.

under XP this was totally painless…

thanks!
Marcos K.
7725 posts
The bad news is that MIDI devices are not supported on Linux.
14 posts
Sorry but you're saying that MIDI is not supported on the Linux version of Houdini or that MIDI is not supported on Linux period?

There are plenty of people out there using midi devices on linux and tons of aplications (mostly audio) that support it.
4140 posts
He's just talking about Houdini.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7725 posts
Thanks. JC! Sorry for not being clearer in the first place. MIDI devices are not supported on the Linux version of Houdini.
14 posts
Really! I guess there are not too many people using midi controllers…

Well that's my addition to the wish list! Midi-in and Audio-In support for linux… A straight forward way to hook it up with alsa's aconect would be great.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, i can stop to banging my head now.

Marcos K
121 posts
Not much help here, but what you could do is write a little application which converts midi data to a protocoll the pipe-in chop understands. I'm sure there are some free MIDI libraries for java out there, so it could be relatively easy.
There is some for documentaion the pipe-in chop somewhere in the Houdini install directory.
  • Quick Links