Volume transparency

2662   2   2
75 posts
Hi, having some issues with volume transparency, Not sure exactly whats going on or where to point the finger.

On very transparent and feathered edges, the viewport draw of transparency is horrible. A volume cloud over the grid, or the background gradient with/without lighting has horrible halo-ing at the extreme transparency edges.
This cuts out the grid entirely underneath the volume and generally looks wrong.

Is there any setting I'm missing that will solve this?

Additionally this doesn't seem to be a problem on a windows laptop with a geforce 980 but fails miserably on my Linux workstation with a quadro 4200

Additionally I've tried several video drivers including > the ones specified in the sticky topic on this forum, and none showed any better results.

I hope to find a fix for this soon.

thanks

-johnc
75 posts
Anyone?
7768 posts
The scene viewer does not handle alpha compositing correctly when color correction such as gamma or lut is enabled. This will cause haloing when the scene view background is not black. The infinite grid currently does not take alpha into account when being drawn, this causes the weird cutout effect for semi transparent objects.

To get a good quality volume preview in the scene viewer, you must set the background the black, disable any construction plane/infinite grid, enable hdr lighting, and set volume bit depth to 16 bit. HDR lighting and 3D texture bit depths default to on and 16 bit in the build desktop, but if you switch desktops they will revert to off and 8bit which can make volumes look ugly. If you want the background to have a color, you can make a giant sphere with @gl_lit=0 and set it to the color you want.

I wouldn't focus too much on making the volumes look good in the scene viewer, since at the end of the day it doesn't matter what they look like in opengl, only how they look when rendered with your production renderer (e.g. Mantra, Renderman, etc).
Edited by jsmack - Aug. 19, 2017 13:48:28

Attachments:
volume_test.jpg (273.9 KB)

• Quick Links