Houdini Indie and Simulation jobs

1552   2   2
47 posts
Hi all!

I'm a long time 3dsMax user, getting my toes wet with Houdini. I am building a VFX portfolio at the moment, and I ended up purchasing Houdini Indie as I'd like to export between and leverage both packages.
I reached out to sales with one question, but haven't heard back - probably because of the weekend.

My current setup at home is a decent workstation and a move powerful, dedicated computer for rendering and simulations. Normally I work off my workstation and send off simulation jobs to my dedicated computer. Since they at worst take days, that keeps my momentum up and/or I can use my workstation for other tasks. For Max and most plugins there this is pretty straight forward.

Purchasing Houdini Indie I of course want to keep this workflow, but during installation the note about HQueue requiring network licenses got me a bit worried. Since Indie is node locked, does that mean I cannot send off simulation jobs? Would I need additional purchases?

Would appreciate it if anyone could help clarify this
Staff
1256 posts
Hello,

Running a simulation with HQueue does require a Houdini license of some sort but the license can be a batch, non-interactive Houdini Engine license.

Since you purchased a Houdini Indie license then you should be able to additionally install free Houdini Engine Indie licenses (if you haven't already) that you can use for your HQueue farm:
https://www.sidefx.com/buy/#houdini1 [www.sidefx.com]

To get this working you need to install the Commercial License server on each of your farm machines and then install a Houdini Engine Indie license on each machine.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rob
47 posts
Great! Thanks, that's just the information I needed

-Trond
  • Quick Links