Need some help skinning this mesh...

1934   6   2
517 posts
Hi all,

Can someone help me skin this super simple mesh?
Any ideas why it's doing this?

Thanks,
Pete
402 posts
Hi Pete!

Do you have “use capture pose” checked on your capture node? If so, you might need to align your capture pose (the shelf tool is under the rigging tab),

Henry
Henry Dean
517 posts
Hey thanks man but unfortunately it's still no good
I had the capture pose set to frame 0, but when I switch to use capture pose everything goes really out of whack.

517 posts
Hmm it looks like it might be coming from me using object merged cregions for my ‘unity rig’.
I may have to build an actual bone rig that is constrained to the existing bones to get this happening. I just have to think of a good way to set that up.
402 posts
Ah, I see. If you're object merging then you might find it helpful to either lock a sop downstream of the capture or drop a stash sop, just to prevent recooking of the capture node if you haven't got animation on a bone (or control object).

Of course, making sure that you're object merging the cregions ‘Into This Object’.
Henry Dean
517 posts
Hmm tried that, still no joy
It looks like the object merges are breaking things, I tried creating fresh bones and constraining them to the target bones on the main rig and that seems to be working so far.
The interface for tweaking bone weights actually seems kinda nice, but it is a bit flakey.
Check this test of a tube out -

It looks like any bones that are visible in your scene are included in the weight editing even if they aren't in the capture
Edited by peteski - Sept. 4, 2017 20:13:36
517 posts
Update…

Got it woking . It looks like the capture tools really don't like you using the merge node so I just simplified the whole thing and put clean unmessed with bones into the scene and constrained them to the rig bones.

The capture tools are quite nice, but it's a shame you seem to be unable to use standard selection options while in that mode, like edge loops or grow. (also zoom selected)
Edited by peteski - Sept. 4, 2017 23:15:27
  • Quick Links