Animation blend via an attribute in CHOPs

2552   3   1
11 posts
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how to make an asset that I can use to blend between 2 states (1 of which is animated).

Basically I want to manipulate a points position based on it's animation rather than between 2 points (linearly). For example if I create an animation of a grid moving up in the Y and twisting in the Y over 24 frames I want to scrub that animation on a per point basis using on an attribute like Cd.x.

From my research it seems I'll need to use CHOPs (which I've always struggled with beyond using for lag/spring animations). Is there a way to remap an attribute value like Cd.x (0-1 range) to control each points animation channel (1-24 range)?

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself well here however if anyone can help point me in the right direction that would be great - I've tried bring in different states of my test geo into CHOPs (static, animated, color attributes) and tried blending them through different methods (blend, composite, CHOP VOP) without any success.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you
2042 posts
I'm not sure what you really want to do.

But here is a file that might be useful in getting you there partway.

Attachments:
Drive P with Cd through chops.hiplc (124.8 KB)

402 posts
Hi!

Is this the kind of thing you were thinking of? Sorry, haven't got much time to document properly, but take a look and see. Also included a point deform setup as an example… this stuff gets real slow with a heavier point count. So doing a reduction of your input mesh and using that in CHOPs would be a good idea.

Cheers,

Henry

Attachments:
blend_anim_per_pt.hip (106.2 KB)

Henry Dean
11 posts
Thanks so much guys, both are really insightful and helpful - I think Henry's seems to work pretty well for what I'm after although I definitely need to be careful of the point count (or be very patient ). I might be able to try a combination of the two to be able to create a more optimized version!?.

Thanks again, really helpful of you both
  • Quick Links