Muscle Pins - How do they work?

1506   1   0
47 posts
Hello,

I'm trying to get an arm rig working with some anatomically modeled bones and muscles. The forearm muscles actually extend up the arm past the elbow joint. When the arm bends, these muscles need to bend as well. Right now I have their ends parented to the arms anatomical bones. When the arm bends, the muscles path is a straight line between the two anchor points, which is not what I need. It would seem that muscle pins would be a way to solve this, but I have been playing around with them for awhile and have read what documentation there is on them but still can't figure out how they work. I've been able to get them to loosely constrain a few verts of the muscle tetrahedra to their location, but I can't seem to get them to do more than that. I would need them to influence a larger section of muscle so that it does not lift off the bone where its not supposed to (as is happening in my screenshot). I also would like to know what the proper way to wire them up is.

Aside from that, any information other than what has been publicly released so far (the masterclass, the siggraph presentation, and the documentation is what I know of) on how to properly use the franken muscle / tissue system workflow would be very much appreciated.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 10.06.49 AM.png (837.4 KB)

Staff
138 posts
hi,
MusclePins are not meant for that purpose. MusclePins are analogous to the end anchors on regular muscles. They are used as region constraints with FrankenMuscles.

When attaching muscle rigs to ik/fk bones, use straight parenting for the end anchors. Optionally you can use Constraints for this too.

For inner handles, you can use one of these methods:
Use a ParentBlend constraint to mimic a parent/child relationship between a handle and any other object,
Or,
Use the BlendPose tool to setup a “set driven key”-like relationship between your handle positions a bone rotation.

-And, a third option would be to just keyframe the placement of the inner handles if needed.

In applications where your muscle is being simulated with dynamics, collisions with the bones would do the physically correct thing, and the tricks mentioned above would not necessarily apply.

see the attached example. (H16.5)
-j

Attachments:
inner_handle_constraints.hip (607.9 KB)

john mariella
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links