Houdini to Unreal Import issue: "No smoothing goup found"

157   4   0
3 posts
Hello,

I modeled a model in houdini 16.0.671 and exported it as fbx then I imported the mesh into Unreal 4.18 and I got a Waring error that says “ No smoothing group found ” but unreal still imports it and when I bake lightmaps no issue found on the model but with that does it mean that everything is fine consigning the import process? if not please what is the solution to remove that error ?.

Thank you for your reply.

Chiaka Chima.
Staff
119 posts
Hi Chiaka,

Smoothing groups don't exist in Houdini, and thus cant be exported to FBX files from Houdini, so the warning is legit.
If you modeled your mesh in houdini, you can safely ignore that warning.

One way to remove the warning, is by adding normals to the mesh in Houdini or having Unreal recompute them in the FBX import options.
29 posts
you can use smoothing groups (I know it works for digital assets, have not tried it with fbx). Here is an example where I am applying smoothing group to all primitives but you can apply a group filter at the top…

Here is link to docs about it.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/unreal/_attributes.html#AttributesInput [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by Aladin Sane - Jan. 4, 2018 04:48:27

Attachments:
smoothingmask.PNG (83.8 KB)

3 posts
Wow Thank you guyz all your contributions really helps. As for Aladin Sane I will try your suggestions on Fbx export. Thanks guyz you are the BEST.
Staff
119 posts
Hi,

Just a quick note, the unreal_face_smoothing_mask attribute mentioned by Aladin are meant to be used with the Houdini Engine Plugin for UE4, and won't work with regular FBX export.
But if you're using the plugin, they will get the smoothing info.
  • Quick Links