Cloth object and velocity fields

1677   2   0
8 posts
In the “Cloth object” under drag, there is the “External velocity field” reference. I have been creating velocity fields in different ways (1. Pyro sim 2. From a clean volume with some noise) but it does not influence the cloth at all.

Am I misunderstand the use of this field?

I can't find any information about this topic.
8 posts
So I posted this a couple of days ago. I found this post, that explained that, the “External velocity field” has to get it's velocity informations from another simulation in the same Dop.

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/50438/?page=1#post-227386 [www.sidefx.com]

Is there a way to apply, or make a velocity field from the Sop, directly influence the cloth? Importing a velocity field to another simulation, only to get the velocity field working for a cloth simulation, can't be the right way
114 posts
You don't need another simulation, just use a SOP Vectorfield DOP and an Apply Data DOP to attach the volume from SOPs right to the Cloth Object. Just make sure you match the name of the newly imported volume (in DOPs) to the External Velocity Field parm. Also, a Vectorfield Visualization DOP is handy to make sure you are importing the volume correctly.
  • Quick Links