Grouping UVs for UV Layout?

2214   7   2
10 posts
Hi guys, I've been using Houdini for a couple of months now and I am modeling a cockpit of a plane for a game and I have an issue.

There are many objects in the cockpit which can share the same texture, for example a knob, which is used 20 times around the cockpit and in order to save space on the texture, I want all of these knobs to have overlaying UVs.

My workflow: I create an object (for example the knob), UV flatten it and then I use a Copy and Transform to make 10 copies of it. At this point the UVs are still at the same place.

However, once I use the UV Layout at the end of my network, (understandably) all the knob UVs get separated and positioned individually in the UV viewport.

So my question is, is there a way to keep the UVs of certain objects always together even if I use the UV layout?

I have attached an example file with the knob.

Attachments:
Test_Knob.hipnc (82.0 KB)

483 posts
Hmmm, maybe merge / uv-layout only the single objects together and then create the copies?
Edited by matthias_k - Feb. 9, 2018 01:36:40

Attachments:
Test_Knob_001.hipnc (98.3 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
10 posts
Hi MAtthias, thanks for oyur answer! Well I have dozens (maybe even hundreds) of these objects that would share their same textures and the network is gigantic so i need to do it down the network just so it all makes sense. The knobs all belong to a specific panel and if I need to move those panels they need to stay there.

Could there be any other solution?

I was thinking of grouping all of the objects that are copied and transformed in the network, and then using the UV layout on everything except those groups, and after that I would have to position those grouped UVs manually and individually in the UV viewport. But this is obviously not procedural so I was hoping of hetting a better way of doing it.
Edited by mrkmmvl - Feb. 9, 2018 03:20:27
483 posts
Split it in parts and use object merge to have it organized?
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
10 posts
That's what I'm doing actually, but I am using the UV layout only after all of the different parts of the cockpit are merged together, so that is why it wouldn't be practical to be making the copies of the knobs of anything else at that place in the network.
483 posts
something like this…

uuups, should be none selected on delete, updated file
Edited by matthias_k - Feb. 9, 2018 03:54:19

Attachments:
merged_objects.hip (162.4 KB)

10 posts
hi Matthias, I opened the file but none of the objects are unwrapped and there also isn't the uv layout.

Nevertheless I have found a solution to my problem: https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/h16-game-shelf-tools-uv-stacker/ [www.sidefx.com]

Attachments:
merged_objects_unwrapped.hipnc (163.5 KB)

483 posts
Cool, does not know about this :-)

attached is the file with uv-flatten where i meant to put it in.
Edited by matthias_k - Feb. 10, 2018 06:13:48

Attachments:
merged_objects_unwrapped_before.hipnc (231.8 KB)

• Quick Links