Ramp Parameter ranges?

7991   9   2
37 posts
Is there any way to extend the ranges of a ramp parameter in an Attribute Wrangle to go beyond 0 and 1? I can set a point to a value outside the visible range (like -0.5, 2, or anything else), but can't visually grab / adjust the curve because those points lie outside the visible field.

Thanks, Peter
Edited by phoehsl - Feb. 17, 2018 03:08:45

Attachments:
Screenshot_2018-02-17_09-42-37.png (19.2 KB)

7727 posts
No, you can't change the range displayed by the ramp. If you need to extend the range, consider remapping the output instead.

For example, if you want to make a hill shape that bottoms out at -0.5, draw the shape within the visible bounds of the ramp (0-1), and use the fit function, or add/subtract/multiply to remap the output to the desired range.

If you really need an ‘unbounded’ canvas for your ramp, you can use a channel instead. Any parameter with keyframes can be treated like a ramp using the chf() vex function. Simply pass the input value of the ramp as the time for the channel. e.g. @Cd = chf("curve_parm", @uv.x);
471 posts
Hi,

I think it will be a really nice to have feature, if you have an additional advanced control float ramp (like the fcurve in XSI ICE), where you have similar functionalities like the animation editor. Of course you can already use the workaround jsmack discribed, but I think it will be more comfortable, if the control can be connected to the wrangle, instead of connecting the channel names and switching between wrangle and animation editor.
37 posts
The fit function came to mind, but I didn't realise one could pass it to a channel. Will give it a try, thanks.
59 posts
This is kind of critical to animation issues I'm struggling with… specifically, defining the amount of a corrective morph. It would be great if a control for manual clamp/remap ranges could be integrated into the ramp interface. I am not able to rig this :-(
2035 posts
When I use ramps and want a greater range I simply use a wrangle to reference the ramp and also create a spare parameter that multiplies the ramp result to give me any end value range.

I also usually use a fit and feed that into the ramp.
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 17, 2018 08:31:13
471 posts
Hi phoehsl,

if interested, here is an example with some ideas of extending the ramp.

Attachments:
rampfit.hipnc (72.1 KB)

37 posts
Aizatulin
Hi phoehsl,

if interested, here is an example with some ideas of extending the ramp.

This is awesome. Thank you!
471 posts
Sure,

I've just figured out, that the last method didn't use the ramp start.
Here is a fixed version.

Attachments:
rampfitfixed.hipnc (72.2 KB)

2035 posts
Would this be of use to you. Less code. “Shaping” of grid is done more with the ramp itself.

Attachments:
Grid Shaping via Ramp.hipnc (72.7 KB)

• Quick Links