Constrain to point - cannot match constraint to point and instance orientation

1551   3   1
2 posts
I have a problem I can't wrap my head around and would kindly appreciate any help on how to solve this:

The setup: I created a particle system, the points have an orientation attribute and tumble about. Instanced to each point are 48 objects.

The problem: I need to constrain an alembic object and camera to one of the points and match the points orientation (and thus the orientation of the instanced geometry). A point constraint works for the position. The constrained geometry also tumbles by using the orient attribute with look at mode set to ‘direction attribute from points’. However I can't get the constrained geometry to match the orientation of the instanced geometry. I tried getting an up vector from the points y axis, which didn't work either.

Am I at least moving in the right direction, or is the point constraint a dead end? Might maketransform be a solution?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
8551 posts
since Points constraint is just copying what Rivet Object does, it doesn't offer more commonly used attributes like orient, so you have to decompose your orient to Y-axis for upvector and Z-axis for direction
to do that you can use following pointwrangle on your points:
v@yaxis = qrotate(p@orient, {0,1,0});
v@zaxis = qrotate(p@orient, {0,0,1});

then in Points constraint put
zaxis in Direction Attribute
yaxis in Up Attribute
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7762 posts
tamte
since Points constraint is just copying what Rivet Object does, it doesn't offer more commonly used attributes like orient, so you have to decompose your orient to Y-axis for upvector and Z-axis for direction

yaxis in Up Attribute

I smell an RFE
2 posts
tamte

yaxis in Up Attribute

That certainly does it, thank you very much!
  • Quick Links