Expand POP network group

1671   5   0
9 posts
Hello all,

I'm working on a project where an object collides with particles in a pop network. I'm using a collision detection sop to add the struck particles to a group and then having a pop force drop them to the floor. However, I'd like to expand this group over time to include neighboring particles but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to do it. I had a go at writing some vex but it's a bit over my head. Any thoughts on how I could achieve this effect?

Thanks.
323 posts
Hi it helps if you post your scene (.hip) and show what you want to do.
9 posts
Apologies Olaf, here is the file I'm working with.

Thanks.

Attachments:
Pop_Grain_Sand_03.hiplc (658.5 KB)

2041 posts
So in your popnet I disabled your popsprite and popcolor.

Then after your popnet in a pointwrangle do the work to gradually add more points to your collide group.

Then give them color in next wrangle and at the end turn them into sprites.
Edited by BabaJ - Sept. 2, 2018 11:25:35

Attachments:
Pop_Grain_Sand_03 v1.hiplc (673.0 KB)

9 posts
BabaJ
So in your popnet I disabled your popsprite and popcolor.

Then after your popnet in a pointwrangle do the work to gradually add more points to your collide group.

Then give them color in next wrangle and at the end turn them into sprites.

This works really well! My one concern is that the particles don't remain in the group indefinitely after they enter it. Is there anything like the “Preserve Group” checkbox in the POP group that could be added to the attribute wrangle's code to fix this?

Thanks.
2041 posts
My one concern is that the particles don't remain in the group indefinitely after they enter it

What do you mean they don't? They do, so long as the points @age hasn't reached its' @life, it will remain in the group;

But that would go the same for points not in the group too, so just increase the life setting, if that's the case.

Right now you only have 90 frames at 24/s and life is at 100s, so no problem there.

Unless of course you decide to change your birthing method and/or have a dynamic point source. But in that case the code just has to be switched to using something like an id attribute instead of point numbers.

What do you plan on changing?
  • Quick Links