Cloth basics on animated character with vellum

6505   6   2
350 posts
Hi
So watched the excellent presentation by Sara Rascon
https://vimeo.com/303533504 [vimeo.com]

However something is missing in my understanding of using Vellum with an animated character.
My understanding is that you first need a character in a static t-pose to do your initial Vellum solve when creating clothes,
So how would you cloth an animated character?
Would you first create your clothes with Vellum and then animate your character either thru the timeline of by applying mocap data?

Or would you normally start with a fully animated character imported as alembic or fbx and then use Vellum with this animation (which hopefully starts with s t-pose)?
8513 posts
it doesn't really matter how you get the animation
just make sure your animation starts with t-pose that you've used to create the clothes
the t-pose to animation blend is usually in pre-roll frames before the shot range starts

in case you for some reason can't or don't want to bake in t-pose blend into animation
you can always try to bring in the t-pose separately and blend into the animation in sops, but that may not always be ideal due to linear blend
or with fbx you can directly blend the animation on the bones
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
350 posts
Hey Tomas, thanks!!
Exactly the information I needed.
I'll do further digging but any chance you could point me to an example of blending animation in sops or via bones in fbx?
A technique I know will come in handy using canned mocap data!
Right now I'm prototyping using Manuelbastioni characters and applying BVH mocap data before exporting as alembic from Blender.
None of the BVH files start with a T-pose.

Should I be working with fbx instead of alembic?
Just wondering if there is any advantage when it comes to rigging and mocap.
Edited by art3mis - Jan. 1, 2019 20:49:01
806 posts
Moin,

have a look at this great video from Jeff:
https://vimeo.com/299987046 [vimeo.com]
He shows how to blend from T-Pose into a walk-cycle, I guess that covers everything you need.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
2 posts
Hi everyone, I am currently working in H.17 and I am trying to simulate the bottom part of a dress for an fbx animated character.

What I have done is set up my vellum network, then cached out my fbx as a bgeo sequence, and that is what I am using to collide with my cloth. I used a vellum attach to geo to attach the cloth to the geo around her waist. This works great until the animation has her arms crossing through the vellum.

Instead of reacting against the vellum, the arms pass through it, and drag the vellum with it as it goes. I tried increasing the subdivisions of my model but that doesn't do anything. Is there some density attribute/parameter I am missing? The vellum reacts well to the legs of my character but her arms don't seem to react the same way. Any help would be awesome as I am a beginner and am just learning how this all works. Thanks!

I'll attach my scene file for anyone willing to take a look.

Attachments:
cloth_v12.hipnc (10.4 MB)

806 posts
Hi,

without having looked at your scene file, some standard questions:

- have you made sure that the arms aren't moving too fast for any collision to take place? With legs you often have much slower/denser movement than with arms, often the arms simply “jump” from one position to the next, never really hitting the softbody.
- have you tried increasing the substeps (which, to some degree, can cope with the above)?
- have you tried slowing the time frame down (both on the FBX export so that more 'tween-steps get exported AND on the simulation to match the new fps count)?

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
1 posts
dylancollard
Hi everyone, I am currently working in H.17 and I am trying to simulate the bottom part of a dress for an fbx animated character.

What I have done is set up my vellum network, then cached out my fbx as a bgeo sequence, and that is what I am using to collide with my cloth. I used a vellum attach to geo to attach the cloth to the geo around her waist. This works great until the animation has her arms crossing through the vellum.

Instead of reacting against the vellum, the arms pass through it, and drag the vellum with it as it goes. I tried increasing the subdivisions of my model but that doesn't do anything. Is there some density attribute/parameter I am missing? The vellum reacts well to the legs of my character but her arms don't seem to react the same way. Any help would be awesome as I am a beginner and am just learning how this all works. Thanks!

I'll attach my scene file for anyone willing to take a look.

Hi, your file is calling to a missing chicken.bgeo ….
  • Quick Links