BUG: Memory leak in flipbook's motion blur

4436   7   1
176 posts
just did a simple scene (a flying sphere ), and tried to flipbook it with motion blur. It took 1.5GB for the first run (640x480, 250 frames), and wasn't cleared. For the second run, it took 1.5 again (3gb in total).
Without motion blur i all is ok.

Houdini 8.1.666 32bit on SuSE 10.1 x86_64 with nVidia GeForce 7800GT
4140 posts
Hmm..I did an almost identical test(same size, a simple sphere anim), but with 300 frames, and it used 0.5G, and mem usage went away when I closed mplay. Same release, SUSE 10.0. Video card is NVidia FX3600.

What are you using to measure the mem use? I'm using top.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
176 posts
KDE's system guard. But that doesn't matter, top shows the same result.
Maybe it is a combination of 64bit OS and video driver? But memory was belonged to Houdini process… Or it may happen because of 32bit version runned over a 64bit OS…
unfortunately setup of 666 release is broken for 64bit (it installs only 3 folders for me) so i can't check it.
4261 posts
Top and friends can be a bit misleading at times. According to top my machine is using 3.5 gigs of RAM, but actually about 3 gigs of that is cached and can be reclaimed at any time. From within mplay bring up the textport and type “memory”. That might give a more accurate account.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
176 posts
But memory is taken by houdini process, not mplay.
mplay frees all it took after i exit it (it can't do it other way, it's controlled by OS)
4140 posts
OK, I didn't realize you meant Houdini, not mplay. I've reproed that here, and the memory doesn't seem to be part of Houdini's cache. I have to quit to clear the mem.

Not sure why it takes 1/3 of the memory that you're taking, though, for a larger image. I'm running the same as you - 32 bit Houdini on a 64 bit system.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
176 posts
I'm glad that at least one bug I found can be reproduced (that is my bad karma )
I think that can be explained by actual resolution of viewer pane and amount of in-between frames taken for motion blur. I suppose houdini mixes in-between images at full size to get motion blur and then resizing the result. And if leak is happen before resizing, it would depend from actual size of viewer on screen. I have 1920x1200 desktop resolution and viewer is quite large part of it. Also I used 5 frames to do motion blur.
Staff
5158 posts
This leak is plugged in 8.1.690.
  • Quick Links