UVEdit operator bug

6126   10   0
73 posts
Hi folks and developers

I've noticed a UVEdit bug

In build 8.1696 I made some UV editing, when I load the file in 8.1700 the uv in some areas are deformed or moved out of place.

Very annoying, but I hope can be solved.

I'm attaching two screenshots

Attachments:
8_1700_UVEditWrong.jpg (117.6 KB)
8_1696_UVEditOK.jpg (112.2 KB)

12477 posts
I spotted this entry in the Journal and perhaps the UVEdit and the Edit share the same code? And if so, perhaps it was broken before and is fixed now?

Sunday, August 20, 2006
Houdini 8.1.700: Fixed a bug in the Edit SOP that incorrectly computed the pivot used to apply the current edit.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
4262 posts
Were those UVedits done with multiple UVedit nodes? Or just one?

The different *edit nodes only store diffs of the geometry/uvs. So the only time the pivot would actually come into play is when you were doing the interactive edit. After you complete that operation, all the details of the transform are thrown out (including the pivot) and only the diff'd position is stored.

To fix your problem go back to the previous version of Houdini where the edits are the way you like it and click the “Start New UV Transform” button. This will commit the edit to the diff and should allow the hip file to open up fine in versions >.700
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
73 posts
It was done with only one UVEdit node. However I'll try the tip u gave, that is to start a new transform within the node, or attaching one more
Staff
329 posts
regget
In build 8.1696 I made some UV editing, when I load the file in 8.1700 the uv in some areas are deformed or moved out of place.

There have been no changes to the UVEdit SOP between 8.1.696 and 8.1.700. Are there any differences in the input UV values between the two versions of Houdini? If you lock the input SOP in Houdini 8.1.696 and then load it into 8.1.700, does the problem go away? A simplified .hip file I can experiment with would also be helpful in determining the cause.
73 posts
Starting a New UV edit operation within the same uv edit node does not solve the problem. hohever locking the node does. But I think this is not the right way to solve the problem for various reasons.

I attach the file. Opened in 696 is ok, reopened in 700 or 701 is not ok

Attachments:
UVEdit_problem.zip (31.6 KB)

4262 posts
Actually, I think the UVEdit is innocent in this case. (The output for the UVUnwrap is different between versions, which gets amplified by the UVEdit)

edit22 seems to be the source of the troubles.
Edited by - Aug. 23, 2006 09:34:58
73 posts
That's right, the UV Edit seems to be innocent, but the UVWUnwrap flips the parts in question.
4262 posts
In the older version of Houdini, go to edit22 and then hit “`” to reselect the geometry and then right click to finish the operation. Now that the edit has been commited, you'll get the same result as in Houdini versions >700.
73 posts
if i do reselecting as u said, it produces the same result as in 700, just now in 696. So the prob remains. However do not bother yourself, now the locking have done the job.

So it seems that in the edit operation was or is something wrong, or the error is in my computer (brain )

thanks for the help, anyway
4262 posts
regget
So it seems that in the edit operation was or is something wrong, or the error is in my computer (brain )

As Jason mention above, there was a bug with the Edit SOP that they fixed in 8.1.700.
Sunday, August 20, 2006
Houdini 8.1.700: Fixed a bug in the Edit SOP that incorrectly computed the pivot used to apply the current edit.
So that could be either a good thing or a bad thing..depending on how you look at it.
  • Quick Links