Procedural Spline generator from Houdini to Unreal

696   2   1
17 posts
Hi everyone!
I’m trying to create a tool with Houdini Engine for Unreal Engine 4.
I want to create a spline on which points I can place different meshes. For example: procedural loop shapes, twist shapes, banking etc… (like a rollercoaster).
Could anyone give me some advice on how to do it? Or send me a tutorial about it?
My goal is to create a Tool that allows me to create multiple splines in Unreal and attach them to one another in order to create a single track.
How can I set the tool to combine each spline into a track every time in new “piece” is created and still be able to edit that single piece?
I’d like to create a button that allows me to create new curves in Unreal as a part of the Digital Asset and then edit those curves as described above.
Do you think is possible or there’s better way to accomplish this?
In Houdini I created a procedural curve where I can set banking and another curve for loop shapes that it is attach to the last point of the first curve. But I don’t no how I can create this tool for create this track in Unreal then.
In Houdini I created a procedural curve in which it is possible to set up banking operations and another curve for loop shapes that is connected to the last point of the first curve. But I don't know how I can create this tool to create this track in Unreal and continue to add new procedural curves after and blend them.

I am attaching what I created in Houdini and imported into Unreal with Houdini Engine.

Edited by Mary537 - May 15, 2019 10:41:00

Attachments:
Houdini_splineEditor.JPG (89.3 KB)
Unreal_splineEditor.JPG (126.6 KB)

394 posts
You seem to have a good handle on things already.
My thoughts:
1. You probably already know this, but be aware that your tool will (for the foreseeable future) only ever be usable at editor time (not runtime) in Unreal.
2. In Unreal make a simple Blueprint with just an Unreal spline object component in it. (I will call this splineBP.) When you drag the splineBP into the Unreal editor you should be able to move and edit it (add remove points etc).
2. In Houdini, when you put down an object merge node and expose the Object* parameter to your HDA, you get that as an input on your HDA. You can plug splineBPs in there. You can have any number of inputs and any input may take any number of things. So you could make inputs that have different meanings and give you different controls. You could also plug in meshes and other things.
You can also set the input to generate its own special spline curve.
3. The unreal spline component gets re-sampled when it goes into the HDA. Plug a splineBP into the HDA and use the debug open Scene in Houdini menu option to see what you actually get. I recommend saving that for reference and working from there.
4. Resample, ends, refine, polyframe and many other SOPs as well as VEX/VOPs will be your friends. Personally I strongly recommend to work with VEX or VOPs if you are serious about learning Houdini, but VOPs is easier to start with if you don't find a good guide.
17 posts
Thank you so much for your answer. I managed to continue
  • Quick Links