PC build for beginner looking towards going pro

1388   3   1
1 posts
Hi there, I'm looking torwards buying and making my own custom Pc.

I did some research, asked some houdini proffesionals and here is the build I came up with :

Image Not Found

I'm probably going to replace the 1070 GPU with the upcoming RTX 2060 super.

What do you think of this build ? Is there any parts that migth not work well together?

Tnaks for reading and I can't wait to start off my houdini experience soon

Cheers!
900 posts
Hello, what kind of rendering engine you are going to use (mantra, redshift, etc) and what type of workload do you have usually? (lots of simulations? what kind of simulations?)

I'm not an hardware expert, but as far as I understand it, threadripper is usually chosen over normal ryzen cpus because of the following:
1) Possibility to add more than 2 GPUs, given the huge amount of lanes
2) Possibility to add up 128GB of RAM (vs 64GB of ryzen)

As of now your setup is 1 GPU only and 32GB of RAM.
I guess you would find better solutions in Ryzen gen2 (and soon gen3) for price and performance if you want to stick with this config and skip this gen1 threadripper.

Only thing I'm pretty sure about is to have a minimum of 64GB of RAM. Because RAM is really easy to saturate even if you don't do simulation work.

Anyway, I leave it to the hardware experts of this forum
cheers
806 posts
Moin,

this is such a frequent topic, there should be a FAQ for “how do I use the search function” …

Without you giving detailed descriptions about the intended use (“Houdini” is too broad), you can only expect the same answers all those countless other threads come up with.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
648 posts
choice of renderer will have a massive effect on the build, see attached examples.

Attachments:
fy20_upgrades.txt (3.3 KB)

• Quick Links