Vertex Animation Textures ROP 2.0 Released

773   3   3
Staff
276 posts
Hi folks. We've just released our first pass of an updated vertex animation textures (VAT) ROP.
You can watch the quick start video for Unity [vimeo.com] and for UE4 [vimeo.com]. Consider this a pre-release. If you have any feedback we'd love to hear it. Big shout out to Ben Laidlaw who did most of the hard work and was kind enough to share with us and the community.

I forgot to mention in the ue4 video that you should turn on “full precision uv's” in your mesh settings.

What can you find in the new version?
* Updated shaders and materials for Unity to work with the LWRP in 2019.
* Updated material functions for UE4.
* Tooltips (Detailed help card coming soon).
* Export presets for different game engines.
* If you double-click on the ROP after exporting you can see a debug version of the mesh and textures that were exported.
* Unity exporting will automatically update the material settings.
* Pad textures to power of 2 for texture streaming.
* 2 textures exported for extra precision when limited to 8bit textures.
* And a bunch of other stuff.
23 posts
cool!
can is there a limit to how many frames this can spit out (due to texture size)? or how dense a mesh?
could this replace alembic cache in terms of efficiency?
Staff
276 posts
Yup. Assuming you had a max texture size of 4096, you could have 4096 frames for a mesh that had 4096 vertices. Or you could increase your vertex count and decrease your frame range. So 6000 vertices would require two lines for each frame, giving 2048 frames.

It depends what kind of efficiency you're talking about and which engine you're running. One advantage of alembic files is the importer can filter the data to only use every other frame or some other kind of reduction in favour of performance. VAT just loads the entire texture onto the GPU. Some Alembic implementations also handle certain issues with shadows better.

And then there's also the type of export. Alembic is great for fixed point geometry (vertex count and order is the same for every frame). Fluid sims change every frame so VAT is the preferred solution.
23 posts
thanks for the reply!

I've been investigating different cache ways to bring in animation into unreal so I've had an eye on animation textures for a while.
With python being added to unreal maybe it would allow for some more ways to bring stuff into the engine more efficiently.

I'm guessing that the precision of the texture is based on the bounding box of the animation? in the link here [vimeo.com] the precision was a bit off, is that fixed with 32bit textures?
does the scene size have some affect on it? say if the bounding box is large or the animation is for example 1,000,000 units away from world space 0?

you say that alembic can handle some certain issues with shadows better? do you have an example on how that would be compared to using just animation textures?

I've found that even since unreal has streaming alembic cache since 4.22, it's still experimental. so large cache files take a long time to load in. I've experienced some taking 2 hours to bring in, and i have no idea if it's crashed or not while it's coming in. so another thought i had was to maybe batch load an alembic animation in parts. or if vertex animation cache is precise, textures seem like a faster way to load in clips to a mesh.

thanks!
  • Quick Links