recomendations on wire object settings to simulate a rope

1315   4   1
2 posts
Hello! I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations for default settings to use on a wire object to get good rope simulation. I'm not doing anything fancy, just want to have a rope attached to an object that pulls the rope around the scene and drags the rope behind.

I can get the wire to attach and follow no problem, but I can't seem to find good physical/elasticity/plasticity material settings for the wire object in the DOP. The docs say to get rope like behavior to set angular spring constant to zero, and give it just a little angular damping, but I'm still not getting good results. I've set up sims like this in other applications before with no problem, so there might be something Houdini specific I'm missing (I'm fairly new to Houdini).

Any and all recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. If you would like an example of my scene setup, please let me know!
310 posts
Post a hip with your best try, and someone (maybe me) will improve it for you. I'd say, you are mostly likely having an issue working with the number of points you are using, but I'd need your scene to see.
8581 posts
You may want to try Vellum instead
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
2 posts
Hello! Thank you very much for the replies. I am attaching a hipnc file ( I only have the apprentice version ), as well as a video of it in motion so you can see it quickly. I guess my main concerns are the jitter of the wire, and the stretchy-ness. If I turn up the stretch resistance, it seems to solve those issues, but then it slows the overall movement considerably. Any ideas are much appreciated! also, don't spend a ton of time on this, as I'm just testing things out. I may try a Vellum test next as well as per tamte's suggestion.

Thank you again!

Attachments:
rope_test.hipnc (249.0 KB)
rope_test.mp4 (1.3 MB)

310 posts
Literally all you needed was increased substeps on your solver. The reason you need the extra substeps is because you have so many points in your rope. You don't always need to use that many points, and the less points you have, the less substeps required, and the stiffer your rope can become.
  • Quick Links