Viewport flip now in H18

2557   10   1
378 posts
I posted a video some time ago showing the ortho views flipping (inverting) when selecting an object in H17.5.
I had hoped this would be fixed in H18 or be an issue with Redshift.

It turns out neither is true.
I made a new Scene in H18 containing only a camera object. Redshift is disabled (not loaded at all).

I still have the same issue. Selecting the camera object in viewport, treeview or network will flip the ortho views.
I find it hard to believe that this slipped QA, so I need to know if anyone can repro.

Edit: I tried again and it happens in maximized ortho views as well, with any scene content.
Info: I am running a dual screen setup Win10 Pro 64bit, 64gig RAM, Graphics card is a 2080 super, but it happens on my other work station as well so I don't think it is in any way system related.

Scene is attached.

Edit:
Here is the video I recorded in H17.5 some time ago, when I still wasn't sure if redshift caused it.
Edited by OneBigTree - Dec. 31, 2019 11:24:37

Attachments:
Flip.hiplc (65.4 KB)

7710 posts
I can't tell from the video exactly what actions you're doing but please log it ( https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/15603/ [www.sidefx.com] ) if you haven't already. It's crucially important that you describe in painstaking detail, ALL the mouse movement, mouse button clicks, and key presses that you're making and in the exact order to reproduce. It's the holidays right now though so replies will be probably slow until next week or after.
238 posts
Had the same issue couple weeks ago too. Could not repo, but it happened pretty frequently. Ive purged all user pref (minus all my preset) and stopped acting up. I am not sure anymore if it had something to do with Redshift.
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
378 posts
edward
I can't tell from the video exactly what actions you're doing but please log it ( https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/15603/ [www.sidefx.com] ) if you haven't already. It's crucially important that you describe in painstaking detail, ALL the mouse movement, mouse button clicks, and key presses that you're making and in the exact order to reproduce. It's the holidays right now though so replies will be probably slow until next week or after.

I do exactly what you see in the video: I select the object. In between I reset the view to repeat it. There's nothing more to it. No complicated steps to repro. You can even hear the clicks and see the little circle when I click. That's really it. View reset is done using the standard key combo.

I will log it once I know it is repro able and an actual bug. To find that out I posted here first.
Edited by OneBigTree - Dec. 31, 2019 11:19:33
378 posts
sekow
Had the same issue couple weeks ago too. Could not repo, but it happened pretty frequently. Ive purged all user pref (minus all my preset) and stopped acting up. I am not sure anymore if it had something to do with Redshift.
I am 100 percent sure it has nothing to do with redshift. I have removed redshift from my H18 installation.
710 posts
Really strange. For what it's worth I have never seen this happen, not in H18, 17.5 or prior. I am not able to reproduce it with a quad-view like in your video and any amount of zooming, panning or clicking. Win10 Pro, 1070 cards here. A very Maya-like solution but maybe try nuking your prefs like sekow and see if it helps.
Edited by Siavash Tehrani - Dec. 31, 2019 11:37:43
378 posts
DaJuice
Really strange. For what it's worth I have never seen this happen, not in H18, 17.5 or prior. I am not able to reproduce it with a quad-view like in your video and any amount of zooming, panning or clicking. Win10 Pro, 1070 cards here. A very Maya-like solution but maybe try nuking your prefs like sekow and see if it helps.

Yes, I have to try that. Allthough I didn't make any major changes. I tried a few variations for everything camera related in the prefs but it didn't change anything.

Edit:

So I renamed my Houdini18 folder in documents and let Houdini create a new one with default prefs and that fixed it.
Somewhere in those prefs files I need to find the culprit because since I don't know the source of the issue it can happen anytime again. I did not change much in the prefs. And if a standard setting in a prefs file can cause it it is a bug.

I'll keep investigating. Thanks all for you input.
Edited by OneBigTree - Dec. 31, 2019 16:02:29
Staff
5156 posts
Just zip up the entire housini18.0 folder and attach it to the bug. We can figure it out from there.
378 posts
twod
Just zip up the entire housini18.0 folder and attach it to the bug. We can figure it out from there.

Not necessary anymore I found the culprit! But thanks for reading and responding on new-years eve

It is the “automatically set pivot to selection” setting in the 3d Viewport setting. When enabled the ortho views flip on selection. Which is a shame because that is exactly the behavior I need. Maybe the whole camera system needs a revision. There is always something dodgy about it…..anyway:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Edited by OneBigTree - Dec. 31, 2019 18:54:38

Attachments:
Annotation 2020-01-01 004751.jpg (70.9 KB)

Staff
5156 posts
That I wouldn't have guessed… Thanks!
7710 posts
Please log a bug reproducible bug for this, thanks!
  • Quick Links