UV Mapping, Layout, packing, whateva'

1166   2   1
141 posts
Hey fellows,

I have a quite strong Maya background, and now I use Houdini exclusively for my freelancing work (with Zbrush of course). Recently I had to UV map a character. Unfortunately, I didn't really catch how Houdini is supposed to work with UVs. I used flatten to flatten out my islands (not satisfying, especially straightening is not really working, lack of advanced tools, like Maya or Modo), then I packed with UV Layout (lack of proper scale control, lack of transforms, like rotation override, etc) made a really hard time while unwrapping. The final result is less than satisfying, 59% of coverage, the island alignments are not as I wanted, etc.

I'm curious if anyone uses Houdini for game art, and what is your workflow. I have no access to another 3D package at home, so I want to exploit Houdini as much as possible.
1630 posts
szmatefy
The final result is less than satisfying, 59% of coverage, the island alignments are not as I wanted, etc.

It would probably be tremendously helpful, if you could post some screenshots.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
141 posts
I don't think any screenshot would help at all, because I'm asking about others workflow. As I said I'm coming from Maya, so I need to learn how to think when UV napping in Houdini.

For example, in Maya I can flat align vertices as I want, and then unfold the rest of the UV island. Or I can align any island based on a single edge selection. Etc. I'm pretty sure that Houdini has equivalent features but I don't know these. Or maybe the workflow should be changed?
  • Quick Links