Is it possible to import background image in Solaris?

4746   7   4
111 posts
Now we have some tracked cameras in Solaris, does the camera work with background image sequence in solaris, can not find the approach. Thanks in advance!
12433 posts
There is no way right now to set viewport background images (nor associate them with a camera as you can in Objects|cameras) except by manual entry into the Display Options > Background feature. There are RFE's for this existing already

Specific renderers may have their own background-image support, but I couldn't tell you which ones do.
Edited by jason_iversen - Jan. 10, 2020 16:50:56
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
111 posts
Thank you very much sir, it is really helpful!
260 posts
jason_iversen
There is no way right now to set viewport background images (nor associate them with a camera as you can in Objects|cameras) except by manual entry into the Display Options > Background feature. There are RFE's for this existing already

Specific renderers may have their own background-image support, but I couldn't tell you which ones do.

Any news or roadmap to that feature?
30 posts
Hullo, I am reopening this topic, with two enquirers.

in Houdini 19 there is a background plate node which seems acting as a camera projection onto a geometry. From the demo video is not really clear if this node can be used as traditional background plate or exclusively as utility to catch secondary rays and shadows for visualization and rendering purposes. Is it possible to have an example of set up, please?

Another important aspect which is also valid for Solaris viewport in earlier versions of Houdini, is about how do I make the backgrounds plates sensitive to shot context. For example by using the viewport background settings and mapping the plate file path with context variables, this does not seem expanding the path. I am wondering what is the correct way to have a backplate changing when the shot context changes? if you can give me an indication will be great.

All the best,
R.
Staff
356 posts
The background plate LOP is designed to simplify shot integration - it creates the necessary AOVs for shadow, reflection and emission catchers, as well as projects the plate onto the background geometry so it can contribute to the scene elements you are rendering (reflections, diffuse bounces etc).

It will display the background plate in the viewport, however it will not render it to the beauty - this is to allow you more flexibility when compositing the various AOVs for plate integration rather than baking it in.

You can dive inside the LOP to make changes to the shader applied to the background geometry - this allows you to make it more reflective or add displacements for example.

You can drive the background image path as you would normally using env/context variables.

Here is an example hipfile that shows how to set it up.

You don't need background geometry for it to display the plate in the viewport - it will simply ignore it and draw the plate in the bg.

Hope that helps!
Edited by npetit - Nov. 15, 2021 16:04:49

Attachments:
BackgroundPlate.hip (1.6 MB)
plate.png (3.6 MB)
BackgroundPlateViewport.jpg (659.1 KB)
BackgroundPlateViewportNoBGGeo.jpg (648.0 KB)

407 posts
Can you tell me how to render the Background Plate, in the Refraction, please?
Edited by Masoud - April 17, 2024 07:53:51
Masoud Saadatmand (MSDVFX)
Staff
356 posts
If you are using the Background Plate LOP, make sure you have geometry to project the plate onto, and then make sure your object is refractive. In Karma CPU this should just work.

Attachments:
PlateRefraction.png (2.5 MB)

• Quick Links