RBD Bullet Solver Materials Not Exporting

2447   4   0
3 posts
I am currently running into an issue with one of the new nodes in Houdini 18. I am using the RBD Material Fracture node with the new RBD Bullet Solver node. I am not able to export the inside materials to Maya even though I can seem them in the viewport. I have made a simple scene showing the issue along with pictures and a copy of the .fbx that I exported using RBD to FBX. I really enjoy this kind of workflow and would love to figure out how to get these materials exported for use in a game engine!

Thank you,
-K

Attachments:
rbd_1.png (485.4 KB)
rbd_3.png (83.3 KB)
rbd_2.png (112.4 KB)
RBD_Material_Issue.hip (2.2 MB)
rbdtofbxtest.fbx (570.4 KB)

555 posts
Here's what I did for Max, the 1st attribcreate I assign all faces to material 1, then in the 2nd
I assigned all inside to mat 2, then in Max this is what I see.

therefore, you'll have to trawl the Houdini Eng for Maya forum and find the equivalent of the Max mat IDs for Maya to create the attribs…

for some stupid reason, it kept crashing my Max so I exported just 1 frame of FBX instead of the whole thing.
Edited by vusta - Jan. 15, 2020 00:12:48

Attachments:
Max_matIDs.jpg (115.7 KB)
vu_RBD_Material_toMax.hiplc (2.1 MB)

555 posts
aha…this one should work for you…look in mat tabs 1 and 2 where you can assign whatever mat to whatever goup

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/49741/ [www.sidefx.com]

ps: is there any special step that you do when exporting FBX ?…when I try to export the whole range…my Max keeps crashing, just 1 frame is fine tho.

EDIT: hmm… had another look at your file and basically you've done the steps required…but it hasn't worked….

dunno, back to square 1.
Edited by vusta - Jan. 15, 2020 01:16:12
394 posts
Hi K,

I think the issue is that the RBD to FBX is expecting packed geo and you're current setup is passing unpacked geo.
I've modified your file and checked it in Maya. I'm getting both materials.

Mike

Attachments:
RBD_Material_Issue.hip (2.2 MB)

3 posts
mikelyndon-sesi
Hi K,

I think the issue is that the RBD to FBX is expecting packed geo and you're current setup is passing unpacked geo.
I've modified your file and checked it in Maya. I'm getting both materials.

Mike

Works perfectly! I thought it had to do with how the geo was being packed. Thanks for your help and hopefully this helps others trying to do the same thing.
  • Quick Links