Remesh and Polyreduce not working on particle fluid surfaces

3070   3   1
4 posts
Hey all! I'm a realtime VFX artist just starting to dig into Houdini. To learn the ropes I've been following this tutorial on Vimeo here [vimeo.com] and when I get to the point where he remeshes the particle fluid surface I'm seeing no change in my surface at all. I've confirmed this behavior on two different machines running Indie and Apprentice and have also checked that PolyReduce and Remesh are working on other meshes (like a sphere).

Was there a big change to how these sops work with particle fluid surfaces since the tutorial was released? If so, how should I reduce the point count on these meshes to be used in a real-time environment?

Thanks for your help!
710 posts
I don't have Houdini in front of me, but it might be getting output as Polygon Soups [www.sidefx.com] rather than straight polys. In which case you would need to convert it with a Convert SOP before doing most operations on them.
Edited by Siavash Tehrani - Feb. 24, 2020 17:45:57
4 posts
Thank you, that totally worked! Turns out there's also an output option in the Particle Fluid Surface SOP that I missed that converts it into surface polygons from the get go. Sorry for the noobie question but hopefully this helps somebody else out!

Attachments:
Annotation 2020-02-24 150156.png (53.1 KB)

710 posts
Ah yep, forgot about that. Glad it's sorted
  • Quick Links