scale camera

6067   7   2
288 posts
I imported a model from maya as obj file, the texture was hand painted, and the model is very large, when I rendered it, the texture got nothing detail from the texture.

so, I scaled the object with 0.1 , it rendered ok, then, I used a math chop to scale the camera's tx, ty ,tz with 0.1, it seems more or less match the non-scaled one, but there are something looks different. should I scale the camera's other parameters, like focal lenth and aperture?
^_^
1632 posts
For the texture issue, have you tried increasing the Shading Quality and Super Sampling? Also, did you convert the texture to .rat format?

As for scaling, you should parent the object(s) and camera to a Null then scale the Null down so everything is relative. If you use this method, you don't have to use CHOPs to edit the camera's transforms.

Hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
288 posts
why should I convert texture to .rat format? I uesd .jpg directly for color map and displacement map.
^_^
1192 posts
The filtering is much better for RAT, there are also other optimizations.
RAT image format [sidefx.com]
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
345 posts
ykcosmo
why should I convert texture to .rat format? I uesd .jpg directly for color map and displacement map.

give a try rendering an 8K jpg - and you get the answer.

cheers
kuba
252 posts
RAT files do mipmapping and help reduce aliasing/shimmering artifacts a LOT. If you want to use .jpg, you need to greatly increase sampling and quality settings in you rendering and your render speeds will increase a LOT. (And still the RAT versions with lower settings will look better..)

So if you want quality and speed in your renders, change your textures to .rat. If you want to just hack out a quick render, .jpg is fine. It's easy to view your textures with MPlay and save them out as .rat, or do it in COPs if you are adverse to scripting (as I tend to be).

By the way, if you used RenderMan in the old days, it was the same thing- you had to convert all of your textures to it's .tx format- which is functionally equivalent to the .rat format. It's also similar to the mip-mapped .dds format used in real-time rendering using HLSL or Cg to get best quality and the fastest speed in games, etc.

-Craig
7766 posts
Or use iconvert on the command line to convert to .rat.
288 posts
thx, I have tried, it works realy well
^_^
  • Quick Links