Patching whole in poly mesh

7041   7   3
100 posts
Hi all

I have a poly mesh obj imported from a 3d scan of a model. The has several holes in it that need patching.

Can anyone advise as to the most effective method?

Thanks,

JT
2199 posts
Divide sop -> remove shared edges
Reverse sop
Merge sop -> merge with original
Fuse sop
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
Staff
2540 posts
If you have physical “holes” in your geometry, missing polygons, do what Simon says then follow up with the following two SOPs:

Group SOP
> turn off Number Enable
> turn on Edges Enable
> turn on Unshared Edges

PolyCap SOP
> set to use the primitive group created above

Holes filled.
There's at least one school like the old school!
2199 posts
Oh man I never used that sop before, my way is even more old school than old school! I like your way more.

I think with sops like that though they could do with an option to either delete the group just created or a way where you don't need to make the group in the first place. Its too easy to end up with loads of temporary groups that never get cleaned off. People are lazy that way.
100 posts
Hi

thanks for the reply. Works nicely on some areas. But what the best way to patch holes that odn't have intact edges?

File attached.

Thanks,

JT

Attachments:
pstepscan-270a.obj.tar.gz (980.2 KB)

2199 posts
That's a whole lot of holes! Can't think of any easy way to patch up something that full of holes other than manually. Or just rebuild from scratch by snapping curves to it and skinning, ie just use it as a reference.
7723 posts
You could try doing some rough fixes to it by using IsoOffset first. But yeah, that's a pretty bad scan. I think you would need more specialized software like Power Crust maybe. I'll post my naive attempt anyhow using IsoOffset.

Attachments:
pstepscan.hip (160.5 KB)

345 posts
I agree with edward - you need couple others scans to have more or less rough, complete object - otherwise you will have big difficulties rebuilding that mesh. You can try professional software such as rapidform of very promising open source meshlab.

kuba
  • Quick Links